Naso Tang VS Alge

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
RD.;4903422; said:
I don't see the OP complaining & would be willing to bet that at least some of the information that has been supplied by myself & others has given him/her some things to consider with regards to feeding that beautiful Naso Tang that they just recently acquired.

My apologies to those so advanced in this area that this discussion has now become asinine to them.

It's not like I don't have better things to do with my time......

Cheers
I agree that the OP has already gotten his issue answered and I do not see any harm in continuing to talk about it.

And now you are getting (more) full of yourself......

And you didn't touch on my questions about other pellet foods.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hoops - please go back & re-read what I posted previously about the flake food. That company also makes pellets, several kinds.

I also stated;
As far as other foods, all I can say is that I know of no other commercial foods that when fed on an exclusive basis have shown results even remotely close to Pablo's food. Not many people have had success keeping Moorish Idol, Achilles Tang, etc on any type of exclusive diet.
I'm not exctly sure what you expected me to say in response to your question?

First off, it would be pretty much impossible to supply them with enough algae to "fill up". You could put sheets of algae in the tank all day long and they are still going to come eat when you offer other things. I of course do not do this, but I don't believe you could feed too much algae and it would be a detriment.
I'm 50+ yrs of age, this isn't my first rodeo, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that what you state only works in a perfect world. Every fish has a satiation point when it comes to food, and every fish has individual traits, behaviour, likes, and dislikes. In an aquarium some fish will choose seaweed over pellet foods, some will prefer pellets over seaweed, some will prefer frozen meaty foods, and some fish will stop eating from the moment they are collected, and simply wither away.

It's not as simplistic as one anthropomorphizing a marine fish, comparing a tang that fills up on (or simply chooses) foods such as nori, with a human that snacks on celery throughout the day. Fish aren't capable of thinking & reacting as a human would with regards to their diet. If you decided to eat celery all day long (because you loved it so much), to the point of satiation, or even partial satiation, then logicaly you would not, nor could not eat your other 3 full meals per day, even though most of what you would have ingested would be comprised of nothing more than water. (celery consists of 95% water) Eventually you would become full (satiated) on the celery alone.

I also never said that the U of Fl study had anything to do with dilution - I used it as an example of how even though some people use certain foods in the belief that they are offering a wide variety, that in captivity the fact is that some foods will add little to no value at all. Once again, ALL species of fish, both marine & freshwater, have satiation levels. Once satiation is reached they shut it down, and will refuse to eat anything further. These are basic principles based on several decades of aquaculture.

My fish cruise on over when I drop food in the tank even if there is a sheet of algae in there at the time. My logic was never to feed algae at the expense of other nutrition. I am not sure where you are getting that idea.
I wasn't referring to you, or your fish, personally.

I was commenting in a general manner, about tangs (and other species) in general. So while your fish may cruise on over even if there is a sheet of algae in the tank, other fish, owned by other hobbyists, may not. Perhaps your fish wouldn't stuff themselves with algae & then pick at (or flat out refuse) any pellets added, where others would. Believe it or not refusing to eat certain foods, or choosing one food over another due to texture, smell, or taste, happens every day in millions of tanks world-wide.

This may be more common than you realize, I read about this exact thing every week on MFK alone. (mostly in freshwater sub-forums)
My fish won't eat that, my fish doesn't like that, my fish will only eat this.
my fish spits those out. Personally I have never had these kinds of feeding problems as I don't allow my fish to train me, but many others apparently do. And fish being fish, some are much more difficult to convert than others.

My logic was never to feed algae at the expense of other nutrition. I am not sure where you are getting that idea.
I got that from your previous comment, where you stated;

Just because they now don't need to eat like they do in the wild doesn't mean they shouldn't act like they do in the wild, which is graze all day.
Do you see how that could be misunderstood? I have never once suggested that one couldn't, or even shouldn't offer seaweed, nori, etc, but I am absolutely against offering these types of food to the point where the fish would be allowed to graze all day, just as I would be against allowing a child to fill up on celery all day long, to the point where they don't have enough room left to eat a proper fully balanced meal.

I am also in no way criticizing your set up, or your manner of feeding, nor anyone else's in this discussion. As stated previously, it sounds like you gents have it figured out, but others may not.

It's for the others that may not have it all figured out as to why I have posted what I have thus far. It's not always easy conveying the message via a keyboard, compared to a face to face discussion, so if I have offended anyone by coming across as being full of myself then I sincerely apologize. That most certainly was not my intention.

And yes, I believe that we are in complete agreement with regards to feeding algae, pellets, etc. :)

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I missed when you said nothing comes close, I apologize. I guess I figure that someone would have at least closely duplicated the best food out there. That is generally what happens.

Where I was coming from you being full of yourself:

A couple times you stated that people know who you are and you haven't hidden who you are like you are a big deal for some reason. This may actually be the case and I am sure you have a lot of knowledge on the topic. I have no clue who you are however and I could go around broadcasting that I am a big deal and that wouldn't be anything but self promotion. I am not a big deal by the way.

Then you said "It's not like I don't have better things to do with my time....."

How am I not to take those things as you being full of yourself? I will say that I was in no way offended by the remarks, just thought they were a bit cocky is all.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Wow, just wow. It's amazing how some people can read certain things into someones comments.

A couple times you stated that people know who you are and you haven't hidden who you are like you are a big deal for some reason.
I mentioned that many people on MFK know who I am, and the fact that I don't hide the fact for the simple reason that I felt it was an honest approach, vs someone later finding out that I have a vested interest in a certain company/brand & feel as though I had entered this discussion with ulterior motives, or some kind of hidden agenda.
I am not a big deal, nor do I know it all, nor will I ever know it all.
Hopefully that clears that up.

And yes, quite frankly I do have better things to do with my time, I own my own business, and I take care of my disabled wife. I honestly didn't think that this thread was going to become so long winded. Also, that comment was directed at the asinine remark, which IMO was uncalled for. If you feel that somehow those comments equate to me being full of myself, so be it.

And now that this discussion has completely derailed, happy fishkeeping, over & out.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
RD.;4904493; said:
Wow, just wow. It's amazing how some people can read certain things into someones comments.

I mentioned that many people on MFK know who I am, and the fact that I don't hide the fact for the simple reason that I felt it was an honest approach, vs someone later finding out that I have a vested interest in a certain company/brand & feel as though I had entered this discussion with ulterior motives, or some kind of hidden agenda.
I am not a big deal, nor do I know it all, nor will I ever know it all.
Hopefully that clears that up.

And yes, quite frankly I do have better things to do with my time, I own my own business, and I take care of my disabled wife. I honestly didn't think that this thread was going to become so long winded. Also, that comment was directed at the asinine remark, which IMO was uncalled for. If you feel that somehow those comments equate to me being full of myself, so be it.

And now that this discussion has completely derailed, happy fishkeeping, over & out.
Thank you for clearing that up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store