native dithers for pelvicachromis?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I am not as familiar as I'd like to be with west african fish, but from what I can see, any sort of thing I would probably use as a dither, like some of the african tetras or barbs, are extremely relatively expensive. What dithers (from the same area) can be used for pelvicachromis species for a biotope type setting, that aren't incredibly expensive to buy a school of and aren't actual congo tetras?

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I have been looking at the same thing for my nannochromis transvestitus. All I have come up with thus far that are relatively common and affordable are Norman's Lampeye Killi's (Poropanchax normani). They are peaceful, like to be in groups and stay at the top away from the cichlids and their eggs at the bottom.

Reactions: tlindsey

Pangaea

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2010
Germany
How big is your tank? Maybe the african butterfly fish is an option if your tank is not too small. I never kept them myself, but they are really odd. And jumpers, so your tank needs to have a tight lid.

Reactions: SourAngelfish

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow
There are some barbs and tetras, not sure about cheap ones though. The killie idea works well though.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I’ve had problems with my Congo Tetra dithers, and by that, I mean MANY problems, and hundreds of dollars spent on them, so you should probably not get those. I think any African Killifish would work. As stated above, Normans Lampeye Killifish would be great. They are well behaved, and you’ll find they are one of the prettiest fish species.

Pangaea

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2010
Germany
They are a beautiful fish, but not dither material imo. More of a centerpiece and they don’t have the same mindless behavior that is required of a dither. Good krib tankmate though.
Yeah, you're probably right.

Reactions: Deadeye

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Beside the barbs and tetras mentioned, there are many species of killifish and Lampeyes(Aphyosemions (Nothobrachidae), that inhabit the same shallow, low pH areas.
Not often available in LFSs you could contact people from the American Killifish Assn, who often trade or sell eggs thru the mail.
I have used killifish as dithers, and for their amazing colors with smaller cichlids.
1626458976782.png
The Gularus above and below reach about 3" and have a life span of about 3 years, hung around near the tanks surface, out of the way of many substrate hugging cichlids.
1626459121157.png

Reactions: Deadeye and Milingu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store