Native fish for a 10-20 gallon?

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I finally managed to get my wife to let me get a small tank! I'm very excited as I've missed keeping fish and I was looking at some native fish to keep. What would be some good native fish for a small tank like that? Ideally I'd want a type of sunfish but they all seem to get too big for a 20 gallon :( any ideas for some native fish in a small tank?

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
tlindsey tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I finally managed to get my wife to let me get a small tank! I'm very excited as I've missed keeping fish and I was looking at some native fish to keep. What would be some good native fish for a small tank like that? Ideally I'd want a type of sunfish but they all seem to get too big for a 20 gallon :( any ideas for some native fish in a small tank?
A couple of Raibow Darter would work but they won't live long if water stays warm consistently. No heat cool room also micro bubbles can do them in. I personally kept a group of them for a couple of years but believe they probably could have lived a little longer in my cooler basement.

Reactions: kno4te

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
A couple of Raibow Darter would work but they won't live long if water stays warm consistently. No heat cool room also micro bubbles can do them in. I personally kept a group of them for a couple of years but believe they probably could have lived a little longer in my cooler basement.
Those aren't around me. I was looking at a school of minnows most likely with a crawfish.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Those aren't around me. I was looking at a school of minnows most likely with a crawfish.
I have a 20 long setup with rosey red minnows. It depends on the max size of the minnows. Also if Crawfish will get them while they rest.

Reactions: kno4te

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I have a 20 long setup with rosey red minnows. It depends on the max size of the minnows. Also if Crawfish will get them while they rest.
I know a crawfish will try doing that. I want a single somewhat large fish.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Everglades pigmy sunfish (Elassoma evergladei) or Elassoma okefenokee would work, both are quite beautiful.
Stickleback might also fit the bill.
Those look cool. I'd have gotten them if i hadn't gotten exodons first, plus if i could find them

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just an observation, Exodon's normally grow to almost 5", so will eventually get too larger such small tanks.
I wouldn't keep them in anything under a 55 gallon tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store