Native river tank

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I love local tanks. Most people only see the rivers from above water. It is great to watch native tanks and what fish in the river outside your house could be doing.

I have a 75gal Central Taiwan Stream tank I did exactly what you are thinking of. I have not regretted it so far. No heaters needed, water is usually similar and I collect river rocks covered in algae from the stream once a week to feed the grazers in the tank.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
It really depends on what kind of fish you have in the stream across they way. Most likely the answer is yes, though some would get to big for your tank. On the whole most natives tend to be fairly easy to keep.

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
I live in SW Fl and have a native tank. I had sailfin mollies and mosquitofish and plecos and channel cats and some long and skinny minnows that dart around and have a black line down a dull gold body, I cant seem to ID. And a hopolo cat that introduced anchor worms.

Ick killed the mollies, after physically removing anchor worms, the survivors are thriving and no sign of ick or anchor worms, in months.

Oh yes, also a crayfish and grassshrimp (who went extinct after the channel cats came home

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
How about collecting the following species for your tank: hoplo catfish,black acara,1x pleco,mollies,a geophagus and as a centerpiece a Mayan cichlid.

You could also net out tons of mosquito fish as feeders for the Mayan cichlid.

Piscavores:)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2018
I caught a long ear down here in texas(multiple actually) he ate the very first day and then not again for 1 month and then died

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store