native saltwater

marcos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
n/a
Not sure if I should post this here or the saltwater section but I was curios if anyone has kept a native saltwater tank and if you could be successful without using a chiller if you caught them out of shallow water like a tide pool this is something I have wanted to do for a long time but cant afford a chiller

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Pacific tidepool species will do OK in room temp. I've kept sharks, rays, squid, gobies, clingfish, and others from the Pacific with no temp problems. Just be sure the area you're collecting in is legal to do so. Alot of the Pacific coast is off-limits to collecting any live animals or plants.

mbhw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I've kept and currently keep Atlantic native species. As far as needing a chiller, it depends on both the fish and your home, my house tends to get a little warm at times so I choose not to keep certain species like blackfish and ling. Can't wait to get my searobin soon!

b73788

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Here in FL, I have heard of people keeping native SW fish, one time in TFH there was an article about someone who kept pompano.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have kept several types of native brackish and tidepool saltwater fish in unheated small tanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store