Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Zimmermans fish.com

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I could be wrong but I'm pretty certain it is legal in Wisconsin to collect natives and keep them in tanks. This is just added to your daily bag limit of the certain species of fish.

You said you don't care if the fish fight because you will just release them and this is what we are saying is wrong.

Find out for sure if collecting is legal, understand the temperament of the fish you want and set up a suitable living place for them.

I am also curious to what you think adequate filtration is for a 180. Your going to need a lot if you want to heavily stock the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wyowyome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Gillette
A native tank would be amazing. A turtle would be a great addition. IF you find a way to do it responsibly- I'm sure it will be beautiful. Remember to give your RES a basking area out of the water- if introduced to a new tank at relatively the same times, they will all be feeling each other and their new tank out, so you shouldn't have too much aggression. Its a large stock load on the tank, but as long as you have the filtration an waterchanging dedicaton- go for it! We want pictures, too! Use washed light colored gravel/river rock for substrate. Add some driftwood and plants of some type and you're set! When are you setting it all up?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I could be wrong but I'm pretty certain it is legal in Wisconsin to collect natives and keep them in tanks. This is just added to your daily bag limit of the certain species of fish.

You said you don't care if the fish fight because you will just release them and this is what we are saying is wrong.

Find out for sure if collecting is legal, understand the temperament of the fish you want and set up a suitable living place for them.

I am also curious to what you think adequate filtration is for a 180. Your going to need a lot if you want to heavily stock the tank.

Big problem is that all gamefish have to be caught on hook and line. Then there's size slot that protects the fish from harvesting. Then there's Aquatic Invasive Species and VHS regulations in your own state. Heck you cannot use the lake/river water to transporting fish from a lake to home.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting and good thing that water transporting rule does not apply to minnows...or does it?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Big problem is that all gamefish have to be caught on hook and line. Then there's size slot that protects the fish from harvesting. Then there's Aquatic Invasive Species and VHS regulations in your own state. Heck you cannot use the lake/river water to transporting fish from a lake to home.
Very valid points to consider. VHS is terrible.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Interesting and good thing that water transporting rule does not apply to minnows...or does it?
Yes even apply to baitfish and sportfish. You just cannot use the lake water to transporting the live fish. That is how the invasive aquatic species spreading via livewells, bait buckets etc..

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Yes it does. All fish leaving water bodies must be "dead". However, a "dead" fish is considered to be a fish out of water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store