Native tank stocking?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I’ve had a Warmouth for a couple years in my mixed predator tank and I recently had a friend give me 3 small bullheads. I have an extra 75 and was thinking about putting the Warmouth with the bullheads in the 75. once the bullheads are big enough. Think that will work? If so any ideas if and what can go with these guys? I’m pretty sure the Warmouth is a female.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
What kind of bullheads? Bullheads are awesome catfish. But they can be bullies. Pretty much anything alive in the aquarium (fingers included) that touches the barbels will get bitten. Combine this with the fact that sunfish sleep when bullheads are most active. Perhaps if you raise them up together they will get along? Or if you have a few to diffuse aggression?

When I was 16 I caught 2 baby, 1.5 inch, bullheads out of a golf course pond in the middle of January. I put them in an aquarium together, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever, neat little catfishes they were. They did fine for about a year. But then the dominant one started eating all the food. I noticed that the dominant glutton started getting tattered fins, turns out the beta was picking on the alpha. It all ended in one big fight, in which they both got beat up pretty good. I separated them, and still have the bigger, going strong. Tried putting a sunfish in there, ended up becoming a chew toy. They seem to display some sort of territorial behavior. Good luck!

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
What kind of bullheads? Bullheads are awesome catfish. But they can be bullies. Pretty much anything alive in the aquarium (fingers included) that touches the barbels will get bitten. Combine this with the fact that sunfish sleep when bullheads are most active. Perhaps if you raise them up together they will get along? Or if you have a few to diffuse aggression?

When I was 16 I caught 2 baby, 1.5 inch, bullheads out of a golf course pond in the middle of January. I put them in an aquarium together, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever, neat little catfishes they were. They did fine for about a year. But then the dominant one started eating all the food. I noticed that the dominant glutton started getting tattered fins, turns out the beta was picking on the alpha. It all ended in one big fight, in which they both got beat up pretty good. I separated them, and still have the bigger, going strong. Tried putting a sunfish in there, ended up becoming a chew toy. They seem to display some sort of territorial behavior. Good luck!
Thank you
I’m not sure on the type, I think black or brown, and I have 3 of the BH and they’re about two inches now and my Warmouth is about 5.5” , but I wouldn’t put them together until the BH are closer to his size, my Warmouth has eaten 3” fish. They’re growing out with an Oscar right now and they’re getting along although they’ve learned to follow the Oscar at dinner time. It sounds like i might have to reconsider this idea

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
You might as well try it; worst case you'll have to split them up. Distinguishing bullhead species isn't too difficult. Yellow bullheads have unpigmented lower barbers. Blacks can be distinguished from browns in that they have an unpigmented crescent at the base of the caudal fin, over the muscles which control the fin rays, whereas brown bullheads do not.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
You might as well try it; worst case you'll have to split them up. Distinguishing bullhead species isn't too difficult. Yellow bullheads have unpigmented lower barbers. Blacks can be distinguished from browns in that they have an unpigmented crescent at the base of the caudal fin, over the muscles which control the fin rays, whereas brown bullheads do not.
Oh ok,, thanks I’ll try to look and see, I don’t see them clearly very often yet, they all hang together behind a sponge filter and come out to eat (and follow the Oscar) and rush back. I might try it and keep an eye out, I’ve become kind of attached to that Warmouth lol so it will be a close eye out
This is the only pic I have of them, but they’re only about 1.5” here

A948D889-8F92-4785-BC93-562092011E2D.jpeg

Reactions: fishhead0103666
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store