natural live insects?

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
I've had this thought for a long time now. I live in western PA, but grew up in the very rural central PA and was raised a fly-fisherman. I've flyfished for trout all over the US for the last 16 years, and consider myself an experienced flyfisherman. Cross that with my love for aquaria, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

In flyfishing, you learn quickly the insects of the water. To find the food for the day, you only need to start turning over rocks underwater. These insects have fairly short life spans and their sole purpose in life is to reproduce. They require very little in terms of space. They hatch, the larva float to the surface, the ones that aren't eaten hatch and climb onto a limb to dry their wings, then fly around courting and mate. They then lay their eggs on the water and the eggs sink to attach to rocks where the whole cycle starts over again.

I have often thought about raising them as feeders. You can collect them by the hundreds, and they only require perfect water and some light to reproduce. I think they could be easily raised and some are quite large. Stoneflies for example reach about 2 inches in length. Some mayflies are close to a half inch long. Ultimately, it would be interesting to have an ecosystem with them, but they require cooler water conditions than the water we keep for tropical fish. So they would have to be raised as food only. All the freshwater fish in PA live off of these so they must be a good source of protien.

Feeding them is the best part. The mayflies DO NOT eat! Their sole purpose in life is to reproduce. The stoneflies do eat algae and detritus in the nymph stage and can live on algae and leaf buds in the adult stage. SO, raising these insects would cost next to nothing. Keeping the water clean and cool is the only trick.

The setup I was shooting for is a 20gal with a screened in top "flight" area with some MH lighting.

I wrote this because I'm going to attempt this, and was curious if anyone else has or has thought of it before. Also to get thoughts from you guys. So lets hear them.

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
i think thats a great idea. One thing i would think about is imagine trying to handle maybe 100's of flying insects in a small area. i can imagine once they start hatching when u open the screen top a lot of bugs will be flying around.

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
Euge;614067; said:
i think thats a great idea. One thing i would think about is imagine trying to handle maybe 100's of flying insects in a small area. i can imagine once they start hatching when u open the screen top a lot of bugs will be flying around.
He he he. I know. I don't know how to deal with that. They could be a mess to deal with. You also have to consider the amount of dead ones. Could turn the water into a decaying pool of MESS! Any ideas on a "escape proof" "flight" area?

dprUsh83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
Edwardsville, IL
My thoughts are pretty much the same. I think it's an awesome idea, but what is your plan to access the 'food'? I guess you could cut a small hole somewhere and seal it to where you can open/close it and minimize the open space????

Would love to hear more! :popcorn:

jcashion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
The Cave
I would just use some screen and wood to build the flight area. When most insect try to escape something, they fly up, not sideways, so maybe put a small door on the lower half of the screened section?

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
jcashion;614091; said:
I would just use some screen and wood to build the flight area. When most insect try to escape something, they fly up, not sideways, so maybe put a small door on the lower half of the screened section?
That sounds right. I have to think too, in all of this, that it may be easier to breed crickets. They do eat, but not that much. I feed my crickets bulk/cheap fish food and they thrive. Since they're eating protein enriched fish food, I think they're pretty good food. Not all fish eat them, but some do.

The mayflies and stoneflies are probably about the same but harder to raise. The main thing I was looking at w/ stoneflies/mayflies is the nymph version would make it to the lower feeding fish, vs crickets which float on top.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Just curious, why are you wanting to go with a MH light? Seems like way too much light for a tank that small. Why not a florescent tube? Great idea, but will be a pain to keep the flies out of your personal space I think.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
Good idea, but i agree MH is tooo strong your going to cook the bugs... But besides that you have a great idea, let me know how this works, i know my uncle used to raise hellgramites form the nymp stage until they flew, or whatever he said back then..

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
WyldFya;614191; said:
Why do I just picture a swarm of flies like something from the black plague? :D
HAHA if i tried doing this experiment in raisin bugs, i would ve turned my house into the plague of locusts..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store