Need 250 Pacus for my aquaponic machine

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
one of my fish had looked swollen already.... dont know if it was ready like this one... from what i have been reading you have to inject them with some kind of hormone to induce this.... i bet it could be done by providing the right conditions for a while..... i would like to know what the natural habitat is to see if i can replicate.
Swollen doesn't mean its egg bound. If I were to make a guess the swelling is due to over eating and some sort of blockage or fatty liver of some sort. How old are the fish? Like I said before you should try raising out pacu to adulthood before trying aquaponics. You will soon learn that they are not a good option for aquaponic systems no matter how big they are.

And I've already told you the natural habitat. Please do me the favor of reading my posts as I have yours. They live in the amazons. They come from South America and are in found in the amazon rivers. To stimulate breeding for fish from amazon it normally requires a large water change and temperature drop. More specifically you have to make the water very soft and have the temperature drop for a short period to stimulate rainy season.

Goodluck finding more info then that. If there are more knowledgeable members they won't be sharing their knowledge knowing what you plan to do. Even me, who is big on defending overstocking, will not say this is a good idea. Grow them out to eat. Find another species to breed.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Univ. of Hawaii has been culturing pacu for some time and does have a few PDF's on the subject. Aside from that most info is coming out of Brazil.

Reactions: TheLastKon

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
What kind of filtration you gonna be running? Your gonna needs tons of media and gonna have to do tons of water changes! Might be more trouble than it's worth

Aquaponi Machine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
I currently have talipia in the system and its doing fine. So change into to Pacu would be about the same thing or less as i found that pacu dont like to be as crowded as other fish so i would stock alot lighter.

But my filtration is 1/6 of my fish tank....... and 1/2 is soda pop covers and the other half is a settiling tank with live plants.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Pacu don't stop eating! Good luck update and let us know how it goes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store