need a cat for new cichlid tank

Hatch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
USA
:FIREdevil

Any advise on what type of catfish I could put in with some peacock cichlids? something cool (shovelnose?).

3 cichlids 1.5" in a 30 gal. tank

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Peacock Cichlids.. as in, Aulonocara african cichliods?

I would go with a Syndontis, because you will be able to find some african species that would do well in similiar water conditions.

Most of the South American catfish won't appreciate the hard water as much, and they get much larger and make quick snacks of little africans at night.

Rob553

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2005
CA Bay Area
i agree with miles go with syn. decorus or angelicus but not together angelicus can be mean bastards toward other syn. or at least mine was.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
In that small of a tank I would go with some synodontis petricolas.

Rob553

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2005
CA Bay Area
Wow i didnt even see that it was only a 30 you might wanna upgrade to a bigger tank unless your only gonna keep/breed a trio of aulonocara sp.

acetennis2002

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2006
USA
I just bought a Synodontis eupterus for almost the exact same setup hope everything goes as planned

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
Synodontis petricola or eupterus will de fine. Multiplunctatus is also fine but they grow to about 25cm. Any of the Tanganykan or Malawian cats will do.
:naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

darthodo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Georgia
Synodontis ocellifer is nice too. :grinyes: I have some in my all-male hap-peacock tank. They grow fast, look nice, and aren't mean. They may get too big for the 30 gallon though. I've got 2 in my 100 gallon tank.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Scotty said:
Synodontis petricola or eupterus will de fine. Multiplunctatus is also fine but they grow to about 25cm. Any of the Tanganykan or Malawian cats will do.
:naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

This is really not true. Syno. eupterus, multipunctatus, ocellifer, and many of the other multipunctatus types get too large for this tank. Those that are more like S. eupterus or ocellifer may have unpleasant temperaments.
Syno. petricola, Syno. nyassae (from Malawi) or Syno. nigriventris would be much better choices. They're smaller and not as aggressive the ones previously mentioned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store