Need a clamp for center brace 90 gallon

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
what woukd be a good clamp to go on a 90 gallon tank on top that would be pretty close to flush with top so my light won't be raised in the middle? It doesn't have a center brace it bows a bit. I don't know which clamp to buy any recommendations? And if I drain it to about 15% full and the just get the clamp tight with it at that level and fill it back up that be fine the top is 18" deep thanks

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
If it is a glass tank, I would just have a piece of glass cut and silicone it in place front to back. I have a 100 and 210 gallon tank that were built that way. An 8" to 10" wide piece of 3/8 glass would probably do the trick. Have the edges sanded to avoid cuts though.

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
It's got fish in it or I would I just want a quick fix I can do next water change lol

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Should I just use a tall f clamp and go over the light and put a piece of wood on boy sides on the frame up top?

Mike berry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I agree with the Glass Center brace silicone in so my idea would be to go one step further and silicone the glass to the broken brace also so just put enough silicone on top of the glass and on the ends and put it up as high as possible and try to silicone it to where the center brace is even if it's broken in half this would give you a little extra strength I think

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
It is a old tank never had a center brace. If I drain the tank half way would I be able to silicone a piece of glass in and let it set up with water in it? The fish in there now can only fit in my quarantine tank and there's already a fish in there under observation I don't want them in with.

Mike berry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Well in that case since it never had a brace anything you add will just be extra to what it originally was designed so a Glass Center brace would be a good idea

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Would I be able to add it in with water still in tank if I can how low would I have to bring the level. And how long to cure?

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I think you could do it with the tank partially drained. You could float a plastic tote under the area you are working on to catch any silicone that might fall into the tank. If you use 100% silicone without mold inhibitors or additives like GE1 I would think a 48 hr cure time would be fine. Maybe even shorter since the panel would not be submerged. I have not tried any silicone repairs on a tank with fish in it, so am not 100% sure there aren't any hazards. You could also get a large plastic tote to keep the fish in for a couple of days while you do the work.

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
The plastic rim is pretty beat up and barley on as it is I might be able to drain it down pop that off and do three pieces of glass on top of the tank on the ends and middle so silicone wouldn't be an issue falling in and probably a lot easier. Would that work?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store