~....Need Advice About Opening a Fish Store....~

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
i would say if the overhead would be low .. aka no extra rent or extra cost it would be a good way to gauge interest in your area .. i would not spend a great deal but more of a build as you go theory .. the more people buy the more you have .. and if it gets to the point the lobby is not enough then think about another location dedicated to the fish .. but other then that its to risky in todays econmy

ldschmdit29

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Open a fish store in your basement? Is this legal? Advertise well and people will come to you, and until the fish are sold you get to enjoy them... I've thought about this may times...not sure if it is legal though?

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
ldschmdit29;3521919; said:
Open a fish store in your basement? Is this legal? Advertise well and people will come to you, and until the fish are sold you get to enjoy them... I've thought about this may times...not sure if it is legal though?

would strongly not recomend it because of liablity reason as welll as people knowing where you live and breaking in because you got the cash in the "register" it has happened to the majority of mexican "at home" dentists for those who can't afford real dentist services so they got someone they know that's a dentist that would do it at home and its alot of money and a huge billaboard sign across your home to break in for those potential thieves

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
consider the U.S. and local economy (layoffs by various local companies). consider the big competition in your town; such as large, corporate stores (petco, petland, petsmart). consider the local mom and pop fish shops. these are some tough times. there is nothing wrong with dreaming but you also have to honest and truthful with yourself. the other option is to find another town with your demographic and relocate and open a store there.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
seems like you have a good idea. You have the space at your current business. other then checking any laws/bumps in the way for selling livestock thew your current business. people like your planted tank?.. Stock the products you use. I've found petco/petsmart are starting to get on the planted bandwagon.. but their selection is small at best. Even your walmart has a fish section?.. carry what they don't. with the amount of room you have i'de concentrate on a narrower focus. Even start by selling food, planted tank substrate, driftwood, Co2 systems. Special ordering tanks. I saw someone comment about ordering oddballs for customers and customers never picking them up. o_O no offense but that was stupidity.. every LFS i've worked at required upfront 75% or more of the animals retail cost paid. After 6 yrs w/ one local store he will finally special ordered me something w/out paying upfront. And that was after he laughed at me for leaveing my wallet at home w/ a 30min+ drive to go get it.

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
If you can afford it, go for it. I would not do it in your shop, use your shop as advertising.

Bash away, but i like petsmart, or the fish part, and heres why, and i am sure aside from diehards, joe public does to.

It is clean. There are alot of fish. The tanks look clean. You dont see a bunch of nasty filters and sumps, and it doesnt smell. Ours has a nice tear tank setup just for plants, very cool.

All fish stuff on one isle. Best of al, you geta good price. May be some crap products, but hey it has made walmart millions.

what i dont like about LFS's. And i have been to a bunch all across the state, checking them out, for ideas and supplies.

They are ussually cluttered. last one i was in had chemicals in three locations?? My guess is they are experienced folks, and thought anyone coming in should nkow chemicals for ponds are differant them aquariums, whatever.

As has been said, they are smelly and loud. Ferrets and birds.

They never have the dime store little stuff I need. Ie i was looking for some simple plastic airline T's. Not lfs, petco or petsmart i went to had them. Walmart at one town did. So you have a walmart, so make sure you have what they have and price the same. You could still have higher end stuff for real fish ppl, but you have to compete with walmart too.

I think a FISH store would be great if run by ppl who know fish, the store is celan and orderly, and they have the bargain stuff as well as the high end stuff.

One other thing that drives me crazy. Fish mixed up all over the place. mixed tanks. the ppl can never get the fish you want that way. would be easier on them, if you had a neon tank, a zebra tank, etc etc. havesmaller tanks dedicated to each fish. Larger tanks for display.

Make sure anyone working there is not giving out bad advice, or trying to sell a product. My lfs just convinced me i needed 2 chinese algea eaters, then all i hear on here is to get rid of them. Also i asked for otto cats for a tank with brown algea, and was told they would not help, when you can type in brown algea and otto in google and get a thousand hits?

I would have a computer setup, and if you get a question your not sure, you can search mfk and other sites, WITH them. Or even use it to show them what others say about the advice you have given. Never BS.. i have bought plecos for years, no one ever told me or asked me if i knew they would need food other then just sucking around your tank.

I say do it, but put the work in getting it right. Location, and setup. You can even have some stuff setup to display, like A sump, refuge, or the like, gett them asking questions, and let them know you are passionate. But your main filtration, and i would have a pro type sign board explaining what it is and does.

i could go on all day about this, i wish someone close to me had this interest, i would love to get involved.

ausknife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2007
sydney, australia
i live in sydney and 1 month ago opened an aquarium and reptile supply store called all about scales. after 3 months of building (with no sleep), 50 grand in debt (with no sleep) and 4 weeks of trading (still no sleep) i must say that i am frustrated, stressed but extremely happy. without going into exact amounts we have been averaging good money each week, not making money yet but slowly growing. each week we order anything new to bulk up our shelves. i only have 50 tanks but stock about 200 specie of cichlid and predatorial fish. i have sold 2 saratoga, a royal ck, rtc and everything in between. the fish are walking or swimming out the door. dry stock doesnt go as well but makes the shop look mad and as i said we have only been opened a month. i did this privately online for about 5 years and got most of my customer base from working at the local petstore for 5 years. it takes alot out of you but if you love it, you love it. you definately need a market though (obviously) without customers you have nothing so make it the shop you want to walk into, fresh look, different and versatile.
i'll post pics if any one is interested.
good luck

troybernard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2006
utah
I would like to see some pics. I have decided to start with a fish room in the basement and breed some fish. Not sure what yet. I have also been talking with other business owners about setting up and maintaining aquariums at their place of business. I have aquired some tanks and am working on a display in the lobby of my auto shop to see how it goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store