Aug 26, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
0-.25
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
61-70%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I brought home a new bristlenose pleco Saturday and everything was fine until Tuesday night. Then i noticed my venustus being lethargic and inactive but he still ate with everyone else. Then yesterday i had 2 pictus cats die in the tank. I don't see any visible issues but my eyes aren't the best. This afternoon my third and last pictus died as did the venustus. Parameters are good, I'll include a photo of the pictus and venustus, as well as others in the tank who seem unaffected but i don't want to lose any more. I treated with prazi last night as it's the only med i have on hand but since i don't know what the issue is i don't know if the prazi will do any good. Please share any insights.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Think keep your water clean with water changes. Don’t think the prazi will help much but it won’t hurt. Did you quarantine the bn?

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
No unfortunately i don't have a qt set up. I do 60 to 70% water changes every week to 2 weeks and test with api liquid test kit. Imistyped nitrates above and meant 0-5 as you can see in the test pic. I know as they get bigger I'll need to increase the frequency but do tests randomly and have never seen nitrates over 10

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Is there any chance the synodontis killed off the other cats? The venustus is still odd but liked to hang in the same corner as the cats, maybe got beat up too? Im not experienced enough to know what I'm looking at with the reddish pink on the venustus , if it's abrasions/ injury or rash/ infection. I see no other visible signs of infection though.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Think it’s some infection. Maybe viral. The pictus don’t look too beat up. The red/pink on the body look like septicemia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store