Need advice regarding Berdmorei Botia

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I have a chance to buy juvenile Syncrossus Berdmorei Botias for a good price. I've been looking for a colorful scavenger that might survive with a Red Texas Cichlid female, a juvenile Flowerhorn, a grouping of Firemouths, small school of Silver Dollars and Buenos Aires Tetras. My tank is a 120 gal. Long.
I've kept Syncrossus Helodes (Tiger Botia) before in a 65 gal. "what a disaster". They were totally wild, pestering every fish in the tank, until I had to remove them. I've read that the Berdmorei ( Red Tail Tiger ) are smaller and much more colorful than the Helodes. The reviews have been mixed reference aggression and compatability. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I have had one in my tank for about 5 years.. she was very small when I got her, she is now about 13cm.. grew fast at first but growth has slowed
I have her with 13 clown loaches, geos, stingrays, severum, electric blue acara, datnoids, and Asian arowana
Originally had this one and all was well, then I added a second one and they tended to gang up together or fight amongst each other so I removed the second one
Its now about three years since I removed the second one and the original one stays with the clowns all the time as if she is one of them and causes no problem

Reactions: tlindsey

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for the reply. The Red Tail Tigers im interested in are very small, about an inch long. I am a little worried that adding a group of 5 might not be good news for my Bristlenose Plecos, or other bottom feeders. I'm happy to hear you have had good luck with yours.

Reactions: tlindsey and MariaS

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Mine is an absolute demon!! Terrorizing every fish that comes close it’s cave. Fights constantly with my other loaches. Only loach that can put it in its place is my 7” blue Botia. My tiger is 5”. Very beautiful loach indeed and hard to come by , well at least where I live.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I went ahead and bought three. They hide all day under rocks. Only active when the lights are dimmed. They are only an inch long. A little disappointing. As noted above I've kept Green Tigers before. They were fearless, even tag teamed my Salvini and RIvulatus GT. The Red Tails certainly are rare. Only time I have ever seen them in my area. Not much info online either. Thanks for the reply.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store