Need help ASAP

DamoAu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2018
Hey really need some help with my flower horn kinda feel like my lfs is just telling me the wrong information, the picture where he looks fine ( not interested in arguing if it’s a flowerhorn or not atm helping this guy is the priority ) he had some scale damage an a little bit of what I thought was ich when I got him now ( was living in a 10gal bucket first for god knows how long was a rescue fish ) now he wasent eating at like nothing at literally couldn’t get him to eat anything, the lfs suggested feeders an against my better judgement I got some feeder gudgeons which surprise surprise goes to hell, every tank I droped them in infested with ich like crazy with in a couple of days this happened in 4 tanks, I raised the temp, added salt at 3tsp per gallon everytank was fine ich cleared up as per usual, now the flower horn hasent really improved over the last 10 days I’ve been back an fourth with my lfs an they have been no help at all really if anything just wasted my money, I’m not 100% it’s ich I think it could be fungal or a bacterial infection reason being for some reason my usual tactic of treating ich even with medication has done nothing at all like their are 3-4 feeder fish still alive an they are completely free of ich an have nearly doubled in size which is makeing me think I know ich works on a cycle but come on look at the flowerhorn if that’s ich those feeders should be little covered. Any help much appreciated cheers

Sorry for the long story tried to include as much details as possible

4E33225F-1A2C-4E88-9246-73AC5455CD12.jpeg 32848C2A-0F07-4226-9667-03B976DF49FA.jpeg 282F34E0-A3DF-4A17-AE1D-0AC6C29DD9D2.jpeg 9CEFA097-4801-4547-93AA-1D949D56C433.jpeg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The feeders can be immune enough to ich from taking a hold on them. However, since this fish has already had ich, and it doesn't look like ich, I would think a secondary bacterial infection as a result of the ich. Have you tried Seachem Paraguard (which can treat external bacterial infections like fungus as well as ich)? It would have to be dosed every day for up to 3 weeks.

Reactions: kno4te

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Yeah, that's not ich. Fungal seems like a good guess, I'm not up on the best broad spectrum antifungals though.

Is that the same fish in the second pic or another one? Second pic looks fine.

DamoAu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2018
No I haven’t tried seachem para guard, I’ve been useing heat an salt an they recommended this rid ich which tbh I noticed nothing really like he did become more responsive but an by that I mean atleast swimming a bit more. The picture where he looks fine was just before I added the feeders you can’t tell in the that picture but he was almost recovered looked fine but upclose was still healing in spots, they told me had was pretty sick but they just mentioned ich an i was a bit wary just because of some of spots.

So would the plan of attack be to dose the paragaurd for 3 weeks or use another bacterial product an fungus product. Would I use salt during this process ? How often to water change when useing this, do i replace to volume of the tank or what was removed ? Sorry if I’m asking a lot of questions like i said I have about 0% knowledge with medication only ever had the occasional ich an salt an heat works a charm for me

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You can use salt and seachem paraguard together. I would bring down the temperature to normal range. Whenever you do your normal water change, add the salt back in for the volume of water changed, and dose the paraguard for the full tank size at least 1 hour AFTER adding water conditioner.

Reactions: kno4te

DamoAu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2018
Alrigh cool cheers, I’m off to another fish store not local but hopefully better quality

DamoAu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2018
Just an update for everyone,

Such a shame, went to the fish store they recommended seachem cupramine apparently theirs this “super ich” that literally nothing is working on going around cost me $12, by the time I got home he was dead, I dident even get to treat the tank

I’m not impressed flowerhorns were one my fish I really wanted to keep, it was either a saratoga or a red tail, i went with the better choice an got a flower horn, long story short up until now I never really understood why people quarantine I honestly thought it was overkill I’ve been going hard in this hobby over the last year (still a newbie) never had issue like this now however it’s just proven how costly that mistake was from now on never any feeder fish an a quarantine tank is the first tank I’m adding to my collection such a lame learning experience thanks for the help

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I've actually never quarantined either, never had any issues other than maybe once when most of my tank just died one by one. But I hadn't added any new fish recently in that case.

I think here we're a lot better off than the US, we don't seem to have nearly the same amount of diseases probably in large part due to them requiring a 4 week quarantine on entry along with multiple inspections.

Or maybe I've just gotten really lucky.

Reactions: DamoAu

DamoAu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2018
it’s just lame, I’m definitely not keeping another for awhile, kinda ruined my whole “flowerhorn” experience but at the same time it’s kinda like, I’ll take what I can from this situation knowing what I know now I definitely become more serious about ich, their is a silver lineing I can break my american cichlid tank down an move all my small cichlids out create better room for the big guys, still lame as but

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
just an FYI that was not ICK, that being said turning up the heat would exacerbate the problem.

paragaurd or polyguard are good to have on hand, if only one i would go the poly, it is a very broad spectrum and may DMG your bio filter and put you in a mini cycle so water changes a must while using and until your bio filter recovers, link below to full line.

https://www.seachem.com/medications.php

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store