Need Help Determining Species

snabb133

Feeder Fish
Feb 9, 2020
Sweden
Hi!

I'm new to this forum. I bought 5 of so called Channa Bleheri SP. Blue at my local fish store, and now as they have grown a bit (7-8cm) and are displaying their colours, I seem to think that they are a different species and that I may have been fooled? I mean the one on the picture (the one with the more red) is the dominant of all the 5 and chases everyone away. I have no idea why? The blue/dark one is the second most dominant, I have seen him stand up against the red one but gave up eventually after several fights.

Do you guys have any clue on what species they actually are and what is going on?. Maybe this is typical behaviour? Will pairing even happen? If so, how do I know and when does it usually happen?

My tank is at 24 C with stable parameters, tightly planted, several hiding spaces, dim lightining and decent water flow. Tank mates are a Gold Ancistrus pair.

Dominant one (maybe female?):
20200209_224303.jpg

Blue, second most dominant (maybe male?)
20200120_180906.jpg

Both together:
20200120_180920.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi!

I'm new to this forum. I bought 5 of so called Channa Bleheri SP. Blue at my local fish store, and now as they have grown a bit (7-8cm) and are displaying their colours, I seem to think that they are a different species and that I may have been fooled? I mean the one on the picture (the one with the more red) is the dominant of all the 5 and chases everyone away. I have no idea why? The blue/dark one is the second most dominant, I have seen him stand up against the red one but gave up eventually after several fights.

Do you guys have any clue on what species they actually are and what is going on?. Maybe this is typical behaviour? Will pairing even happen? If so, how do I know and when does it usually happen?

My tank is at 24 C with stable parameters, tightly planted, several hiding spaces, dim lightining and decent water flow. Tank mates are a Gold Ancistrus pair.

View attachment 1404875

View attachment 1404876

Both together:
View attachment 1404877
Welcome aboard
headbanger_jib headbanger_jib

Reactions: headbanger_jib

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
These are not bleheri, these are Channa andrao.

Unlike bleheri these are a bit more aggressive, as these fish mature they'll form a pair and kill the rest.

I don't know how to sex them.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Hi!

View attachment 1404875

View attachment 1404876

Both together:
View attachment 1404877
Awesome looking lil snakeheads. Wish I could get them in the USA here but sadly they can't be imported.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Me too. I'd love to have some but just can't get any sadly. Personally the one is like to get most is a channa pleuropthalma or maybe even a channa Barca.
Had two Channa Micropeltes aka Red line Snakehead. My Mother had an African Snakehead many yrs ago.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
They were legal to be imported and to buy at LFS's in the late 70's until they were banned.
Ugh they need to lift the ban already. I understand they are a highly adaptable invasive species but even still. Lol too many gorgeous fish that we just can't have.

Reactions: tlindsey

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Nice nice, how did you get them in Ohio tho? I thought they were illegal to import to the US. If you gots connections I needs ta know lol.
well, procurement and sales of illegal species is an unacceptable topic of discussion on the forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store