need help on tankmates please

rixy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
cornwall,england
hi,my main tank has changed so many times in the last year that ive got to settle down and choose some fish and watch them grow and get old lol.

its a 100 gallon with the following tankmates

1 x 8-9 inch senegal
1 x 4 inch delhezi
1 x 4 inch ornate
1 x 5 inch hepsetus odoe

my lfs has some more odoes in the same size.now,could i add another one????what else could i add that isnt a cichlid???maybe another bichir of some kind???all suggestions greatfully recieved. i have £30 credit to use at trimar.

thanks in advance mark

ps id really prefer another odoe,or maybe some other kind of oddball/whatever

illustrae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
NewHampshire, USA
Do you have plans for larger tanks in the future (say about 2 years from now)? If you have plans for something in the 250-300 gallon range, then I'd say get another 2-3 odoes of the same size. While they aren't really aggressive in general, groups will beat up on the smallest/weakest member. Also, what are you feeding the one you have?
A group of tinfoil barbs (about 4-6 maybe) would be great for both the birchirs and the odoe, provided you can find some that are large enough to not currently be considered food.
One fish that I see often with birchirs is the leopard or marbled ctenopoma. They are subtle, but beautiful fish that get to be about 6". They have very interesting stalking behavior similar to leaf fish, and deceptively large mouths. I recently found some in my LFS, and they were a bit expensive, but I nabbed them up anyway. They can be shy, and I find that mine really like having broad anubias leaves or floating plants to hover under.

rixy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
cornwall,england
thanks illustrae.cant get a bigger tank im afraid,no room.the odoe ive got is fed on prawns/lance fish at the moment.none of my lfs ever have any ctenopoma in.the leopard ctenopoma looks really nice as well.any more ideas anyone please???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store