Need help picking a fishing reel

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Hey everyone! So I have been using spinning reels all my life and today I picked up a cheap medium heavy 6.6 casting rod and now I need recommendations for a reel to pair it with. I would preferably like something cheaper 50 - 60$ CAD as I’m just starting with the baitcaster. If I end up using it a lot I will upgrade down the road. It will mostly be used for small mouth and chain pickerel but might also encounter the odd striped bass.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Im partial to abu garcia but thats just me ??‍♂?… i have a 40+ yr old ambassador that still works fine so thats all i buy. Used to prefer only the ambassador size round reel, i have 9 in various models lol… 5600’s, stx’s, 6500 rockets… the 5600’s can be had on sale for $60 range, exellent bang for the buck… they perform better than the “nicer models” below 35 degrees…. I do have a cple low profile abus also im really enjoying. The revo inshore model is most exellent and i also have the revo rocket toro size i use for musky sized baits… a cheaper version of the inshore would b the baseline abu “black max” or entry level “revo” model. The revo might be a bit more but abu is always worth the money in my opinion. On the cheap and for ur light rod id go with the black max or “entry” level revo. Should b in the $50-80 range for ya. Reels are very hard to get right now with limited supplies. Its been tough with everything going on.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Also, surprisingly the KastKing sparticus is a very good reel for the money. Got one for my wife for $40 as her first bait caster. She picked it up very quickly and the little thing rips for sure lol??… actually what made me switch to the lower profile abus. Honestly can’t believe how good it is for $40 bones… very light and user friendly to learn on

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Thanks for all the suggestions I will look into them. I have another question that is not worth making a new thread over. I’m looking at getting a musky rod but I’m not sure what a good reel would be to pair with it. I’m ok with spending more on this setup as it will probably see more use. This is another reason why I want to get good at using a baitcaster. It would most likely be paired with a 8-9ft heavy musky rod. I will be fishing a large river (the St. John) from a boat mostly if that makes a difference.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks for all the suggestions I will look into them. I have another question that is not worth making a new thread over. I’m looking at getting a musky rod but I’m not sure what a good reel would be to pair with it. I’m ok with spending more on this setup as it will probably see more use. This is another reason why I want to get good at using a baitcaster. It would most likely be paired with a 8-9ft heavy musky rod. I will be fishing a large river (the St. John) from a boat mostly if that makes a difference.
on the cheap the abu ambassador 6500 sizes can work $80-100 for an “entry level” musky reel… i do love my abu revo toro rocket, its a high gear and its perfect for big rubber which is mainly what i throw, picks up a ton of slack very quickly… of course Tranx are very popular, the 400 or 500’s are great and come in both high and low gear. Theyd be comparable to any abu “beast” or “toro” size. Again im partial to abu lol… so a bit bias. Id look into the “beast” size its same size range to the tranx 400. The toro size abus or tranx 500 might be a bit large for ya. If ur lookin for “all around” type reel ur only decision to make is really high gear or low gear. The high gears are better for blades or big rubber. The lower gears will throw everything u just have to crank faster which can wear on ya chuckin bombs all day lol… if u do choose abu b careful while searching/buying. They have alot of the same names on different size reels. “Beast” and “toro” are their larger reel sizes. Dont get the LP size for musky. The price difference should help also lol… $$

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

aussieman57

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Spend a little more money ($@130) and get a Shimano or Daiwa. Once you learn how to use a baitcaster you are going to love it. I grew up with baitcasters. When I first started there were no spinning reels. My first saltwater conventional reel had a piece of leather that you pushed down on the spooled line for a drag and no level wind. You used your thumb to level the line on the spool. There is a bit of a learning curve but once it clicks and you develop an educated thumb you’re on your way.

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
For a cheaper low pro reel, I'm using a Kastking Megajaws. Caught bass and coho salmon with it no problem.

For those bigger fish, I'm using an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C4. Caught lots of 20lbs+ salmon in good current. Might be worth looking at for musky.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Shimano SLX is a good entry point where you won’t feel the need tk upgrade for a while. If and when you do, the workhorse reel of the Curado or the Daiwa Tatula will be your jam. When you become a tackle junkie, you’ll then move to the ridiculous ones. Lol.

my vote is get in around 75-100 USD and you’ll find yourself a good reel that’ll last a good while with regular maintenance and quality components.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Definitely gonna have to go with an abu Garcia. Absolutely amazing rods. I’ve caught some massive fish on small abu rods

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I second the SLX
I myself have a curado and haven't perfected casting crazily far with it yet, though I take pride in the fact that the first fish I ever caught on that setup was a 20" c.argus.
1640759792489.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store