Need Help With Flowerhorn Breeeding

Hwarang_Samurai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
Japorean
Im trying to breed my 4" Male ZZ Flowerhorn with a 5" Female Midas and there in a 30 gallon tank together divided. Every once a week i take out the divider and see if they will breed and everything seems to be going well intill they lip lock the female has the upper hand and looks like its about to rip my males lip off and I panic so i seperate them again and my male always has torn lips :irked: Any suggestions plz help :) :popcorn:

MidasMixer

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
So Cal
Definately a bigger tank. You might want to consider growing out your ZZ a bit more. A smaller male will most likely get beat up by a same size or bigger female. The feemales are usually mean sun of the beaches when they drop tube. Plus I notice fish slow down their growth once they've bred.

hondas3000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
BC, Canada
Sir-KS;3292068; said:
you need a 55gal and add one more male FH...
flower horn is not like other fish that you need to have 2m/1f or 2f/1m. They just need to be one male and one female. First of your male is still small to breed, grow him up till 6" then you will have more chances. Second you don't need to remove the divider for them to get along. Just leave the divider and wait till the female have her tube stick out then remove the divider. Feed your female constantly, many times a day with bloodworm or some live food so she can carry eggs faster.

Hwarang_Samurai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
Japorean
hondas3000;3292143; said:
flower horn is not like other fish that you need to have 2m/1f or 2f/1m. They just need to be one male and one female. First of your male is still small to breed, grow him up till 6" then you will have more chances. Second you don't need to remove the divider for them to get along. Just leave the divider and wait till the female have her tube stick out then remove the divider. Feed your female constantly, many times a day with bloodworm or some live food so she can carry eggs faster.
k thanks :)

Ma12cus504

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
"Coco City"
if u cant afford bigger then just use what you have. U see people from thailand give them smaller space then that. As for breeding, i would use eggcrate. Divide female and male; they will breed on the egg crate itself.

My simple route is, use 150g divided into 10-15 using eggcrate. Put female/male/female/male/.. whoever the male like or whatever bond will lay egg on those crate. remove and replace crate that have eggs. This is what i call mass production without fish injury.

eternal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2009
miami
if the male is smaller it's going to be hard for the female to want to lay for him a 55gl would be fine for this i have done it in 20gl but they were both small 1 1/2in and the female was 1in try to put in a flat rock or planter as a nest and feed well ,good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store