Need help with id

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I agree with James. I've kept both, but it's been a lot of years. I've always been pretty picky about who I bought my fish from, especially African cichlids, and never bought from mixed tanks for just this reason.
Yes, I was kinda expecting that a positive Id was going to be out of the question in this case. I’m just unsure how I’ll pick females for him, or if I should just skip getting females for this guy and have him be the only one of his kind.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If you have any thoughts of passing on any of his fry, I would leave him as a single specimen. If you plan on breeding and passing on fry, it would be best to buy from specialty shops, or local breeders that have been in the game for a while and keep & breed quality stock.

Reactions: tlindsey and MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
If you have any thoughts of passing on any of his fry, I would leave him as a single specimen. If you plan on breeding and passing on fry, it would be best to buy from specialty shops, or local breeders that have been in the game for a while and keep & breed quality stock.
I won’t be pulling fry to raise from any of the Africans. But if any survive that I can’t keep I’ll sell. Knowing this I think I’ll skip on getting him females.
Thank you.

Will zebras and tropheops be ok to add with him? Or any better suggestions?
I figured we’d do a peacock tank, but my husband really liked these guys.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
When I was selling mbuna to the LFS etc, I generally kept them in single species tanks, just to avoid cross breeding. A hyper dom male mbuna can and often will breed with any receptive females. The best you can do in a mixed tank is avoid fish that look similar in color/patterns etc.

Reactions: MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store