Need help with Nitrite spike ASAP

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
All done. Also added a clarifier - know it probably won't work but oh well. Doesn't hurt to be optimistic sometimes. I'll check on the tank when I get home from work tonight. Thanks for all the help!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Keeper of the Ropes;614424; said:
Okay, *she* :) lol is going to do the following...
uuups :redface:
Your plan sounds great. Good luck and keep us posted

HarleyK

ChileRelleno

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
Mobile, AL
HarleyK;614311; said:
I have to assume that you tried them all out yourself when you cycled tanks in the past. Because without personal experience, such a strong opinion is absolutely unwarranted.

HarleyK
As a matter of fact, I have tried most of the brands commonly available in the US as a result of ignorance, for cycling purposes/tank maintenance and etc.
And so my personal opinion based on personal experience, backed by the knowledge that most do not have the proper bacteria and/or the means to keep the bacteria alive and active during shipping and on the store shelves is warranted.
I speak from my experience and the accumulated experience/opinion of 100's of knowledgeable/experienced fish-keepers.
I speak from the experience of a once ignorant fish-keeper who was sold all manner of bottled crap gauranteed to do this or that, to save my fish/tank, cycle my filtration instantly and all the gobblygook imagineable.

Just as too many filter manufacturers recommend replacing medias at practically every cleaning :screwy: , the adding of so many of these bacterial products, sludge removers, slimecoat enhancers does three things for the most part...
1) Keeps the manufacturer in business and making money.
2) Keeps the LFS/LPS doing the same.
3) Keeps the average ignorant aquarist chasing the wild goose and spending $$$.

The only one (Bio-Spira) which is proven to have the actual denitrifying bacteria has a limited shelf life and some bacterial varieties (FW) needed to be refrigerated to maintain a live culture.
This is the only product proven IMHO to do the job, proven via science/research in the lab and by the experiences of many a fish-keeper.
Bio-Spira if shipped, stored and properly applied is a one shot deal, nothing else needed.
If your gonna advise a bacterial additive, recommend the only one worth recommending.

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
HarleyK;614665; said:
uuups :redface:
Your plan sounds great. Good luck and keep us posted

HarleyK
Dude... lol... look at my avatar :)

Tank looks much better and fish look more healthy. Have not tested yet - just walked in the door.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Keeper of the Ropes;615335; said:
Dude... lol... look at my avatar :)
I think you should post a bigger pic with more light ;)

Glad to hear that things are coming back to normal:thumbsup:
HarleyK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store