Need help with tannins please !

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Just rinse it once with tankwater.
It will suck up gasses and chemicals (tannic acid) from the water from anywhere in the tank.
It takes a day or two, but time depends on how much acid is leaching from the wood.
Tie it on the driftwood. Take it out after a couple weeks maximum. Replace if needed.
A carbon reactor would be nice, but not at all necessary.
Yes rinse the bag of carbon until most of the blackness is gone from the bag.
Thanks a lot.

This is where a hob filter comes in handy. I use one on every tank. Does excellent mechanical filtration, and when I need to run carbon I can remove my floss cartridges and add a bag or two of carbon.
Thanks a lot. I have a lid on tank so hob filter won't fit. I love hob filters always for the very same reason. Very easy to put new cartridges and remove them when necessary.

Yeah anywhere inside the tank works. For rinsing it's just the loose dust you want off so it does not make it to clog the filter. Just loop a rubber band through the eye of the zipper and slide the rubber band over the canisters intake tube so the bag is near the strainer to maximize water flow.
That's a great idea. I can hang it by zipper eye. Very very nice idea. Thank you so much.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Very glad to help
Thanks my friend.

One more question. As I read that active carbon absorbs like everything and need to be taken out in case we need to medicate the tank so I am thinking if it will mess with de chlorinators like Seachem Prime or bottle bacteria like Seachem Stability? I dose Stability after like two three days because its a new tank so want to make sure if carbon is ok with stability and prime.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I don't see any info on Seachem's website that says not to use carbon with Prime or Stability so you should be just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store