Need help with water!!!

Mateomedina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2011
Lowell
I have had my 75g tank setup running for about 4-5 months now and for the life of me cant get my water 100% clear. I do 25-40% water changes every and sometimes throw a 15% water change in there mid week. I use prime to declorhinate the water. I have a canister (bought from topdogsellers on ebay, thought i would give their can a try before investing into a better can)and HOB (think its emperor 400 cant remember name lol) running on the tank. I have 5, 2-3inch A. Lyonsi, 1, 4inch severum, 1 pictus cat, a 3inch FM that was just recently added, and a 7inch Chocolate cichlid that i just got yesterday. The problem im having is that the water is pretty clear but i have these small white speckles floating around the tank making the water slightly cloudy. I dont think its a bloom because its been there forever even after the tank has cycled. Any body have any tips or know of a solution?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Whether the specks are detritus or microbubbles, you can get rid of/reduce them by use of a water polisher. A micro pad at the final stage of your filter or a micron filter sock at your outflow will remove suspended particulates/micro-bubbles.

filter sock.jpg

filter sock.jpg

Egarc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2011
Seaside
make sure that the intake hose is clean also the hose that pumps out the water. make sure that all your hoses are clean. try that.

Mateomedina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2011
Lowell
I cleaned my hoses but it still hasn't made much of a difference but Oddball i think it is definitaly detritus. I read somewhere that a protein skimmer can help solve this problem is that true?

buckeye44

Feeder Fish
Nov 6, 2011
Lakeview, Ohio (indian Lake)
Do u have polishing pads in your filter? and u didnt say if u have a air stone? if u do and it is close to the intake of our canister that could be placing bubbles (air) into your canister causing the bubbles if that is what it is.

Mateomedina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2011
Lowell
Idk if i have any polishing pads in my filter i just have the cartridges with some carbon in the HOB. I do have airstones but they are at the back of the tank away from both intakes of the filters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store