Need input from K1/Bio reactoir users

zungaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2008
n.ireland
Toby only got 50liters k1 ,gettinganother 2-300liters,i,ve got 300 liters of static media in the first half of the filter.had the 50 liters k1 in another filter of 100 liters,it was fluidised with about 20-30 lpm.koi fellas say k1 works best at a 50/50 ratio k1 to water

brian

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So.... I didn't recieve directions with this K1 media but I should have.... They should say "This media takes a period of 24-48 hours to reach proper buoancy".

Checked on it last night and it looked like there was no media in it, all submerged and boiling. Added the (2) 5 gallon buckets I removed from the original 3 cubic feet I added initially.

This morning it was all churning and looks like I have room for more. Still boils with most of the air cut as well.

All it needed was a little time. ;)

Won't be long before all my tanks are using this......

I should do a thread on the evolution of a ray keeper. Seems like yesterday that pot scrubbies were the bees knees and if you wanted to be one of the cool kids you needed a thousand or 2. From UG filters to HOBs to canisters to bio balls to pot scrubbies. Wet/dry to submerged to bio reactor.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
digginrays;5027867; said:
congrats db junkie..you have officially graduated.no more pot scrubbies for you..:headbang2:headbang2:ROFL::ROFL::D:D

Definetly evolving. But not sure about graduating.... :( That would mean I was actually breeding rays on a regular basis. We all know that isn't happening. :irked:

I'll pack scrubbies till I die I'm pretty sure. After spending several hundred dollars on the stupid things I'm not about to just throw them out.....

I figure if we collect different species of rays, why not collect different species of filtration. The pot scrubbie filled wet dry sump actually holds the pump that drives the reactor. Soon the reactor and scrubbies will be joined by rings.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
pretty sure my media is sinking so it started boiling pretty quickly

i didnt know that k1 was floating

not sure why everyone uses k1 though... other brands of media have alot more surface area.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
K1 is the new "in" filter, all the cool kids have it :D

I'm glad I missed the pot scrubbie trend but only by accident. I got 20 cubic feet of bio-balls with a monster used fish tank.

This K1 set up sounds promising, I always wanted to put a bubbler or two in the wet portion of my wet/dry filter just to push out the stagnant air in the filter area....

Good thread

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
vamptrev;5027925; said:
pretty sure my media is sinking so it started boiling pretty quickly

i didnt know that k1 was floating

not sure why everyone uses k1 though... other brands of media have alot more surface area.
I'm not sure if people are just generalizing k1 and other brands together that are very similar in structure or if everyone is using k1.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
its always good to have different surface types in your sumps and filtration so different types of bacterias can grow. in my sump i have scrubbies, bioballs, ceramics, and as soon as my pump gets here then the reactor.

db how much over kill is the 100? im thinking the 60 or 80 might be enough for me.

zungaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2008
n.ireland
i think a big benefit with fluidised k1 etc is that it doesn,t need cleaning.cleaning mechanical filtration before reactor is all the work u should need to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store