Need some advice for a friend's 55g

lascombes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2006
louisiana
A buddy of mine has a 55g with a old mallwort aqua-tech filter. He doesn't want to go the monster route (boo!!!) like me, so he's going with smaller fish that shoal. He wants to get a better filter but I'm not sure what to tell him because I had two bio-wheels on my 55g when I had my oscar and pleco but wouldn't that be too much current for small fish?

What would be a good filter with small fish? A canister like the rena xp3 or eheim classic or a aqua clear hob and if the aqua clear which one?

This guy is just getting into the hobby and doesn't have internet so I kinda wanted him to go with something that's easy to break down when cleaning like the aqua clear.

:eek: :tropicalf :turtle: :hypnotize :duh: :mr-t: :frog:

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I would go with an AC70, the flow would only be in one spot, and some fish appreciate a little movement.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
lascombes;548739; said:
A buddy of mine has a 55g with a old mallwort aqua-tech filter... ...not sure what to tell him because I had two bio-wheels on my 55g when I had my oscar and pleco but wouldn't that be too much current for small fish?
Upgrading to any bio-wheel model will be an improvement of the nth degree. They flow the same too, so a one for one trade will keep the current the same. Add the new filter, using the old blue and white filters to seed the new ones and biowheel. Then add the old filter back to the tank to see if two hobs will be two much. If the current is ok, then add another bio-wheel.

IMO, a 55 is too big for any hob filter. If the fish are kept realistic then it will do just fine.

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
as for fish, if I had a tank about that size and I wanted something fairly small that shoals... I wouldnt mind an exodon tank! Those guys can be neat to watch, not the most attractive fish but viscious lil sh*ts!

lascombes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2006
louisiana
Believe me I tried to talk him into a exodon tank but he always kept asking "Is it mean? Will it eat other fish?"

The ac70 sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of the carbon being separate from the sponge.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
lascombes;550225; said:
Believe me I tried to talk him into a exodon tank but he always kept asking "Is it mean? Will it eat other fish?"

The ac70 sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of the carbon being separate from the sponge.
Who needs carbon? PURIGEN!

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
lascombes;550225; said:
Believe me I tried to talk him into a exodon...
Is that like a Megalodon? Because I have been wanting a Megalodon...Anyone think a 100g will be big enough?

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
CHOMPERS;550570; said:
Is that like a Megalodon? Because I have been wanting a Megalodon...Anyone think a 100g will be big enough?
Megalodon is a shark

Exodon is a charachin

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Yes, I was kidding.

I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night....sad...so sad...

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
CHOMPERS;550735; said:
...I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night....sad...so sad...
Oh wait, I have two more tanks to clean up and drill...what am I doing here?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store