Need some help with crystal red shrimp

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Hey so i've had these shrimp for roughly 5 months. I bought 30 of them online through a sketchy website of course but the quality of the shrimp seemed decent enough for me, they arrived roughly 3 weeks old im guessing? They were tiny.

Everything was good for those 5 months but now I seem to be having some issues. They are hunting the smaller ones down and killing them lol... If it matters they recently started to mate which is nice but I often see a couple hunting/chasing other shrimp and I see them eating their dead bodies after a lot of commotion in the tank. It really looks like they are killing each other... Or is it that after birth the females die and they just scavenged her body? The weird thing is the higher quality ones are the ones not pregnant and are the victims to the lower quality ones lol...

And im using ro water remineralized with salty shrimp changing the water when its above 150 ppm which is bi weekly almost.

When i first got them they would go crazy for algae wafers and now they wont even touch them, just protein foods which ive been feeding in large amount to try to stop them from killing other shrimp. I redid the tank also with rocks in the middle for tons more hiding places but it doesnt seem to help. Any thoughts? Im losing 1-2 a week at the moment which sucks

What pissed me off is that they killed this guy my favorite, or at least im assuming, hes been missing for about a week ):<
high.jpg

old.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Is the norm they just kill each other?

tigerbob

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2019
It was likely to be mating attempt. Crystal shrimps are very peaceful unless being crowded.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
It was likely to be mating attempt. Crystal shrimps are very peaceful unless being crowded.
theres about 5 shrimp per gallon atm. its just a lil 5 gallon nano tank. I was planning on keeping around 50 in that tank and giving the rest away to people who wanted some shrimp on craigslist or here on the forum.. I might just wait till all the lower quality ones are done giving birth and feed them to my fh since they are those pregnant ones are killing everyone. Im seeing a lot more mostly red shrimp rather than mostly white :angryfire

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store