Need some ideas on building this over and under stand !

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
well I have been thinking and have thought of a new design ,I know you guys are going to think im nuts but I think i am going to go this way ! im still going to have the 125 on top and the 72 on the bottom I am going to double up on the two by fours in the back so the whole back of the new stand is supported well,
and in the front of the stand I am going to move the support braces in and have them on both sides of the 72 doubled up, I want about 24 inches of open shelf on both sides of the 72 for display purposes , here is another hand drawn diagram that I scanned I beleive if I run the 3 doubled up 2 x4`s supports from the front of the 72 to the back of the 72 there should be enough support to hold the 125 , use your imagination and you should be able to see what I mean !

ROSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
connecticut
I'agree double up the 2x4's but if it were me the bow front would be on top.this set up look's way to top heavy hence shake this stand will need some bracing done to it if your going to put that 125 on the top . cover in plywood after framing it out to help make it ridgid. some idea's to finish it off (over all look) tile? the stand , shiplap siding, (fance plywood give it a look of vertical board's, stone vainer would look sic (common on houses popular during the 70's ) . if you live in the state of connecticut I could possibly do the work for you ?? good luck how ever you go with it !! :thumbsup: :cheers:

MaJiKTeRRoR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2005
Illinois
That stand is going to have to be extremely solid. I think you better call Bob Vila. Or stop at the Old Yankee Workshop.

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
thanks dude I am definetly going to use you ideas to a point !
i will definetly build the top seperate from the supports so I can place the top and bottom on top of the supports like you mentioned , but I am going to go with my new idea ,l I know it will work , i am basically doing this my way ,and i know its going to be un-conventional but im an unconventional kind of guy , when others look at the stand I want them to say wow how is that holding the tanks ,
also I am going to put a layer of plywood on the top layer of the stand and the bottom layer of the stand as well to sure it up just like members have mentioned
and suggested as for tile ,na im not into tile , but I am going to run slats verytically to give it a different look as well , I will be making thgis stand in parts
I will probably be making it next monday and I will take pics throghu out the process , this will be my greatest stand and project of my hobbing career , most of all I am going to take my time while building this stand I want it to be perfect not halfass and i am in no hurry to finish it
thanks again for all the suggestions on my stand I really appreciate it

Patrick

turtall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
State of Hawai'i
Sounds great! Remember, you cannot over build peace of mind :thumbsup: Take your time and HAVE FUN with it! Heres the stand my buddy Allan (in the pic) and I just built for my 150g. Construction is simple but strronng. We used old tongue and groove boards for the siding.

IM000321.JPG

IM000325.JPG

IM000328.JPG

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Looks fantastic , it kinda looks like a casket to me ! wouldnt that be cool if you put handles on the front,giving it casket style and look , you could call it the casket tank !

turtall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
State of Hawai'i
MossOnGrass said:
Looks fantastic , it kinda looks like a casket to me ! wouldnt that be cool if you put handles on the front,giving it casket style and look , you could call it the casket tank !
Well, we did nickname it the coffin. I have put a couple of handles on it. I'll post picks of the established tank when I remember to take some...
As for "The Casket Tank", no fish has died in it yet LOL

ROSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
connecticut
With the look's of the stud's this thing was framed out in it should hold your car or truck up !(double as a garage lift ) can't beat 3x6 construction some house's are'nt even built that good !! :clap :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store