Need some ideas ?!

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
What to stock a 48x12x15inch (LxWxH) tank with .

Was thinking along the lines of ~

10 Cory cat's
5-8 Oto's
12 Lemon Tip Tetra
and 3-5 Rainbow fish (or another medium size main fish).

Just need some ideas on stock please , still looking into what i can get , what i like and what's best to go together , i am thinking a few tall plants to cover the back and a couple of pieces of wood , trying to keep it simple put nice .

Filter will be a Fluval 405 and lighting a Arcadia OTL-T8 .

Thanks, (first post in a while, trying to get myself back into the fish hobby) .

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
Personally I like a ground cover of micro amazon sword and assorted anubias's. You could grow some hairgrass and or anacharis in the back. And tie some java fern to the wood. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
Thanks for the reply , any suggestions on fish ?

Plants most likey will be Amzon Swords, Anubias Barter , Vallisneria Gigantea , Vallisneria Torta , Crinum Natans Crispus . Something along the lines of that but will most likey change when i do start setting up the tank .

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
Pretty much any rasbora will look good in your tank, as well as most of the tetra type i.e. rummynose tetra. Danios too. But since you have such a big tank, you would probably have to buy dozens of any kind of small fish. If you have the cash discus are a very vibrant addition to any tank. Some have said bichirs can be kept in a planted tank, although others say that when they get older they kinda tear ***** up. Angels might be nice as well. The list really goes on and on. It depends what you are looking for

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
DSCN4714.JPG

sounds good. I have a 55g with about those dimensions and I have:
9 blue spotted cories
3 delphax cories
6 (with 5 more in Q) pygmy cories
1 (used to be 6) oto cats
3 (used to be 6) marbled hatchets
5 kuhli loaches
1 boesemani rainbow male
1 boesemani cross female
and 5 new baby 3/4 boesemani rainbow in a growout.
it's heavily planted with an ocelot sword, an anubias, an anubias nano, some sort of microsword, and some peacock moss that I'd get rid of if it wasn't so darn useful.
I also have several species of small snails.
I use 1 6500k 54W T5 for lighting.

DSCN4714.JPG

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
Pretty much any rasbora will look good in your tank, as well as most of the tetra type i.e. rummynose tetra. Danios too. But since you have such a big tank, you would probably have to buy dozens of any kind of small fish. If you have the cash discus are a very vibrant addition to any tank. Some have said bichirs can be kept in a planted tank, although others say that when they get older they kinda tear ***** up. Angels might be nice as well. The list really goes on and on. It depends what you are looking for

Sorry but the tank is not big enough for discus . :( I would love a group of them but i dont have the money and space for any big tanks any more and i am not a big fan of Angels any more as i have had loads and loads in the past .

The tank is only about 30 Uk Gal's .

I'm still thinking about 5-8 medium/ large central fish with a few schools of smaller fish too .

While i still search for what i like and what is best (as it's been a couple of years since keeping tropical fish) could someone please make a small list of fish which would be could to be kept together in a 30gal tank or add onto the list i have made in my above post .

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
10 Sterbai Cory
10 julii Cory
10 Oto's
8 Whiptail Catfish
12 Lemon Tip Tetra
12 Lemon Barbs
12 Cherry Barbs
3-5 Ram Cichlids
5 Boesemani Rainbow fish (or another medium size main fish).

^ is what i have come up with so far , and i thnk that might be starting to get abit over stocked .

J0ker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
New Jersey
How many gallons roughly (in US gallons) is 30 UK gallons??

Julii coreys are awesome... If you like coreys I would also reccommend Panda Corey and Corey Adolfoi

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
How many gallons roughly (in US gallons) is 30 UK gallons??

Julii coreys are awesome... If you like coreys I would also reccommend Panda Corey and Corey Adolfoi
it's about 36 or 40 US Gal's .

Catfish in general i do really like .

Chuncan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Corralitos, CA
Oh whoops. Read the dimensions wrong.
Any cory looks good in a tank. I have emeralds in my planted because theyre sparkly :). Rhinohorn gobies love planted tanks and they are quite active and love to interact with other non agressive fish. Mine chills with my rasboras pretty much all day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store