Need suggestions on fish to clean up eggs

AngryRainbow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2019
I've got a pair of blood parrot cichlids in a 75 gallon with a bristlenose pleco. The female parrot spawns consistently, but obviously the male is infertile and the eggs simply grow fungus after a few days.

I'm looking for suggestions of fish that can withstand the parrots bully behavior when guarding the nest and clean up the eggs before they turn to fungus. I'm assuming the fish would need to be nocturnal to accomplish this.

I think I'd prefer a fish that doesn't require a school/shoal but open to all suggestions!

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
Im suprized the female isn't eating her own eggs. They usually want to consume the energy that used up 'swpawning'. I would say to get a gold nugget pleco or really any pleco that will fit in that tank.

AngryRainbow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2019
It's been about four months now of consistent spawning and she has yet to eat the eggs, unless the spawning coincides with me doing a water change and I get the chance to try and remove the eggs. She'll eat the eggs I miss then.

My bristlenose pleco doesn't touch the eggs, so I'll probably skip another pleco for this purpose.

I have limited experience with Cory's, but are the giant ones timid? Their smaller counterparts that I've seen are generally timid.

Do you guys think something like a red tail or rainbow shark would work? Or I was considering some type of loach.

Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
It's been about four months now of consistent spawning and she has yet to eat the eggs, unless the spawning coincides with me doing a water change and I get the chance to try and remove the eggs. She'll eat the eggs I miss then.

My bristlenose pleco doesn't touch the eggs, so I'll probably skip another pleco for this purpose.

I have limited experience with Cory's, but are the giant ones timid? Their smaller counterparts that I've seen are generally timid.

Do you guys think something like a red tail or rainbow shark would work? Or I was considering some type of loach.
Giant cories tend to be a lil braver then their regular sized counter parts but generally are still timid during the day. It's at night tho that they really start being persistent with trying to find food.

Loaches should work too depending on the specie.

Reactions: fishguy1978

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Plecos, loaches for sure.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Definitely not recommend clown loaches. They werent able to get to a pair of angelfish clutch for 2 days. One is a 6+ thick and wasnt even able to accomplish the task ?

Would recommend african catfish the synos. Definitely not large cories. Theyre sitting ducks in that tank.

Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store