Need sump advice please

Alan Russell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2008
Northeast Georgia
So i got my 220 up and running and currently cycling. I have been looking at a lot of sump pics and it seems like everyone puts a load of stuff in them. What is actually necessary for a sump? Mine is a 50 gallon and looks so plain compared to many of the ones I've seen. i have only seen a few plain ones like mine.

Currently all I have in mine is filter pads, bio balls, and carbon. I will soon add the heaters to the sump when i get them.

Any advice and help would be great and very much appreciated.
Thanks.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The sump isn't really for looks, it is for function...and your looks pretty functional. In time, you will add this and that as you see fit (your heaters for instance). As your stocking levels increase or your fish grow, you may feel the need to add extra media or change to something more efficient. For now, you are doing pretty good. There will be plenty of time to ugly it up a bit. :D

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
I agree with Chompers, drop your heaters in there and you're all set. The only other thing I have in my sump is a sponge the water passes through after the bio-balls but it's just for some added bio filtration and it's not essential.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Dont need anything else.You could fill up the return side with pot scrubbies for more bio.

fourty2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
In a house
Tommydeal;1942694; said:
I agree with Chompers, drop your heaters in there and you're all set. The only other thing I have in my sump is a sponge the water passes through after the bio-balls but it's just for some added bio filtration and it's not essential.
How come you don't use the sponge first before the bioballs as mechanical filtration?just curious :)

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
fourty2;1942760; said:
How come you don't use the sponge first before the bioballs as mechanical filtration?just curious :)
The filter pads take care of the large ditrus, before it clogs the bio-balls... Putting the block of foam after the bioballs, takes all the air bubbles out so you don't cavitate the pump...not to be confused with the desolved oxygen that the water picks up going through the bio-balls, we're talking the large visible air bubbles...:headbang2

fourty2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
In a house
zennzzo;1942787; said:
The filter pads take care of the large ditrus, before it clogs the bio-balls... Putting the block of foam after the bioballs, takes all the air bubbles out so you don't cavitate the pump...not to be confused with the desolved oxygen that the water picks up going through the bio-balls, we're talking the large visible air bubbles...:headbang2

AHH,thanks for explaining ,i was a little confused because i use foam, from course to fine in the first compartment in my sump then bioballs......didn't realise you guys use pads :)

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
fourty2;1942798; said:
AHH,thanks for explaining ,i was a little confused because i use foam, from course to fine in the first compartment in my sump then bioballs......didn't realise you guys use pads :)
Because ditrus is so hard to remove from foam, Floss pads that are cheap and replacable are my choice...
Benificial bacteria that colonizes in the foam before the Bio-balls gets washed away when cleaning out the muck, so the disposable floss IMO is a better option...then foam after the bioballs can colonize without cloging, as well as removing the large air bubbles...

fourty2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
In a house
zennzzo;1942980; said:
Because ditrus is so hard to remove from foam, Floss pads that are cheap and replacable are my choice...
Benificial bacteria that colonizes in the foam before the Bio-balls gets washed away when cleaning out the muck, so the disposable floss IMO is a better option...then foam after the bioballs can colonize without cloging, as well as removing the large air bubbles...
:) thank you for explaining

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
I believe yours is a S/W W/D and the last compartment is for live rock etc.

You can add scrubbies or fill it with Anacharis if you like (need a light if you use plants, a small compact FL will do).

And put an air stone under the bio-material.

I know I couldn't stand not having something in there :D.

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store