Needle Nose Deaths

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
I know they're not true gars, but this seemed like the best place to post.

I've been slowly stocking my new 180. I purchased a trio of needle-noses from petsmart. They seemed healthy at the time, but in four days, I've already lost two.

I've heard they are skittish, but they've been really bad. The seem to get scared, dart a round a little bit, and then go limp and stop venting, but a few minutes later, they'll be back to "normal".

They've all fed, and the remaining one ate today.

Any idea on what's going on? Has anyone experienced this before? Any idea on keeping these buggers? All params are normal. I don't test nitrates anymore, but they must be low too. No other problems in the tank.

Brandon

Edit: Sadly, I have just declared the remaining fish dead. I'd like to try again, but I want to see what you have to say first. I'm not used to so much death in my tank (ok, maybe feeders, but I am under-stocked so only a few have succumbed)

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
what else is in the tank?
how long has the tank been up and running?
i had a needle nose for quite a while and never had a problem other than him being skittish and banging up his snout a little.

p.s. sorry for your loss.

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
There is a 9" BGK, a 5" red bay snook, a few ~4in non-threatening fish (flying foxes and glass catfish), and some rosie feeders to get the needles eating.

Brandon

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
thtas wierd. if it was your water params i would think it would effect the knifefish before the needlefish. maybe try providing some floating cover and getting some more. i would have to assume it was a spine related injury.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store