Needle nose gar with tropical gar

Datnoid042

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
Just curious if a needle nose gar and a tropical gar would be able to be in the same tank together without killing each other? They will be the last 2 fish I purchase for my tank. My current setup is a 185 bowfront.
Thanks in advance

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just curious if a needle nose gar and a tropical gar would be able to be in the same tank together without killing each other? They will be the last 2 fish I purchase for my tank. My current setup is a 185 bowfront.
Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

Welcome aboard:)

No the needle nose could easily be killed by the tropical gar . The needle nose is not a true gar if you didn't know this.

Datnoid042

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
I am aware the needle nose is not a true gar. I like to research fish and get other peoples input before buying. I have heard to many bad stories from a friend of mine about gars, red tail and tiger shovel nose cats so I like to be cautious when it comes to those species

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am aware the needle nose is not a true gar. I like to research fish and get other peoples input before buying. I have heard to many bad stories from a friend of mine about gars, red tail and tiger shovel nose cats so I like to be cautious when it comes to those species

Great to hear that you do research prior unfortunately some don't.

Datnoid042

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
I just got a red pike cichlid last week and am planning on getting a zebra pike later after my fish grow

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
If the needle nose is big enough, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. However, I see the trop spooking the needle nose and killing itself against the glass.

Reactions: Datnoid042

Datnoid042

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2018
My original thought was to get a needle nose and then find a tropical smaller than it, so the larger fish (in time) would potentially leave the other alone.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store