needs a breeding pair

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Firemouths, salvinis, mayan cichlids.

If you plan on upgrading to a larger tank in a year or two you could try a dovii. They will spawn in 40 gallons.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Since when is a pair of jds too big for a 55g? Once cichlids start breeding their growth tends to slow down as their priority get shifted towards mating. I think a pair would work well in there for life.

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
Pomatomus;3799624; said:
Firemouths, salvinis, mayan cichlids.

If you plan on upgrading to a larger tank in a year or two you could try a dovii. They will spawn in 40 gallons.

no, mayans wont work. I just got rid of one that was 13 inches and a spawning pair of mayans is WAY to big for a 55...and Dovii? are you kidding? Dont get those either. They will outgrow a 55 in 4-6 months.

RedH2O

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Saskatchewan
Salvini trust me these are beautys check these picture out.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cichlid/images/salvini.jpg male

http://ciklidi.net/images/amerika/salvini.jpg female

I have a single male in my 240gal and hes currently the dominate one with a jag,trimac and oscar. When a salvini threatens a tankmate there color is amazing and there are awsome to watch. They are quite easy to sex aswell so finding a pair shouldn't be a problem. If you want other tankmates i'd make a divider they can get quite the teeth and do some nasty damage to other fish.

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
rudywieck52;3800347; said:
I would get one bigger cichlid like a GT or JD and then try to breed a smaller pair like convicts or firemouths.
a breeding convict pair will destroy a GT & a JD. Id pass on that.

2fast2slow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
NJ
so since i already have one JD i may just get another one, but in my area they come 1-2 inches, what do i do so i am sure to get a female

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store