needs a breeding pair

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
well, if you scroll up, maybe you can look at the 19 or so comments answering your question and have an idea of what to get....I see a bunch of different species mentioned to you.

rudywieck52

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Ames, IA
yes they are...and i have a breeding pair of convicts in my 30g and they dont bother the other fish in the tank as long as they stay away from their pot while breeding. I dont think they would do damage to the gt it would just have to learn to stay away from their area during breeding time. Thats what I would do if I were you 2fast.

VRWC

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2009
The 9ᵗʰ Colony
www.youtube.com
well, Ive had a breeding pair of convicts kill a red devil & a carpintis in a 125, and take over the whole tank after doing so. 2 weeks ago, in my 265 I had a male convict and a female Honduran red point pair up and they ganged up on every fish in the tank, took scales off an argentea, grammodes and a cyano. Before I could get the male con out, they had corralled all 22 other fish into 1/3rd of my 265.

Ive had this happen on almost every occasion Ive had breeding pairs of convicts which is why I keep them alone when they do spawn. If you want a breeding pair that isnt as aggressive, try the Honduran red points. I have a breeding pair in the 265 as well and they simply keep everyone away from their area in the tank, about a 1 ft radius.

More than likely, a GT or JD or any other single fish in a 55 with a breeding pair of convicts over 3 or so inches, is gonna get worked over, stressed or the GT or JD will kill the convicts for messing with them. Ive never found a balance in a tank with breeding convicts, even up to a 265 gallon.

rudywieck52

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Ames, IA
Well that's unfortunate. Maybe I just got lucky but I keep a pair of convicts with a jewel and everything works fine and all fish are colorful and healthy. If it were my 55, I would take the risk and return the fish to my lfs if it didn't work out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store