Neolissochilus benasi at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I have seen it doing my homework. I became convinced they confused benasi with stratcheyi. This is the blue Tor, that is stratcheyi. There is entirely too much blue in that fish to be a benasi. Other than Ken's photo above, I have not found any photos of large benasi on google or elsewhere.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A video update on our benasi. It has been moved to a minnow 240 gal tank. No changes to report. It'd been growing slowly, probably at around 7" right now:

CC N

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2021

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Post #83 from our main mahseer thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ilus-at-fish-story.680024/page-9#post-8300435

It is more or less official - I can't raise benasi. Second time I tried with the one I got from MikeshookONES ended up to mirror the first try: the fish did well for many months, then without a reason stopped feeding and died in some weeks. Have no clue why but once could have been a fluke and now twice and the same way is a pattern. 9" probably 1 year old or so.

Perhaps the sump filter was too dirty and the bacterial count in the water column was too high. I've increased the cleaning since this.

Is this what you looking for?
Awesome!! Thank you.

those are from northern vietnam and are Blue Tor/Neolissochilus stracheyi
Right, I agree with this (per above going). Thank you.

• Sad
Reactions: Fishman Dave

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Speaking just as a guy who will never own one...these things are gorgeous. So many big fish and reptiles are colourful and attractive at smaller sizes and then just turn into big awkward grey or silver lumps at maturity. These are beautiful in both colour and form, even at those large sizes.

Viktor, I wish I lived close enough to visit your installation. It would be a bit like having a friend with a fishing boat; almost as nice as having your own, less maintenance and way easier on the wallet! :)

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Never heard of these gus but they look like XXL Siamese algae eaters or flying foxes. Lol.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
CC N CC N I would say I am looking to find out how big Neolissochilus benasi can grow, just for my general mahseer knowledge. My personal challenge is that I often have a hard time telling mahseer species apart. Also our collective challenge is that the mahseer taxonomy seems incomplete, can be confusing, and is in dire need of a LOT of work.

As you see from the above-going, benasi is claimed to grow much larger that a foot - kendragon kendragon shows a large specimen, looks like at least 1.5ft or maybe 2ft, fugupuff fugupuff claims 2.5ft. I hope this is true and not a confusion with some other mahseer species. For now I have no reason to doubt Ken and Wesley as the ID of their fish look right with little work on my part and to my untrained eye. Ideally, I must look far deeper into making sure this may be true.

As I have duly reported, I've failed twice to raise the alleged benasi past 9 inches, so this is, at least for now, a theoretical interest for me.

I find peers from Asia, to who these mahseer are local, can be very helpful in learning about mahseer GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 Asian Exotics Asian Exotics headbanger_jib headbanger_jib

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store