Nerite changed shell pattern

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Some of mine also did. I got them in very bad condition. They were so starved they could barely hold on to anything. After power feeding them by putting then directly on algea sheets they recovered quite quickly but two of them changed their pattern. It's just not so nice and clear compared to yours.

IMG_20230108_103146.jpg
IMG_20230108_103216.jpg

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Milingu Milingu thanks for sharing, so, this seems to be a thing! I see striking similarities between yours and mine, looks like the stripes are getting wider, and the new lines seem to be in a consistent orientation parallel to and along the edge of the opening.

I wonder if they were harvested in brackish or salty conditions, and this is the pattern in freshwater?!

Curious, to say the least!
Thanks so much for chiming in!

HarleyK

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
As far as I know they get mostly collected in freshwater. Which would match with the theory that they start migrating upstream when they are still very small.
I wonder more about this "dividing line" in the shell and how it arises. Because some snails have it and others don't. I think that with some snails the information for the colour pattern is lost at this line. Since not all specimens have this line, I suspect it occurs due to nutritional or mineral deficiencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

sixog1634

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2023
I am also curious about the "dividing line" present in some snail shells and its origin. It seems that this feature is not consistent across all snail species, and I am interested in understanding why. I hypothesize that this dividing line may play a role in the coloration of the shell, and its absence could suggest a loss of color pattern information. My suspicion is that nutritional or mineral deficiencies could be responsible for the development of this dividing line in some snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store