Net for 18" Fish?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I am needing a net for an 18 inch Piraya. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I want a net that will not hurt the fish at all and is safe to use for when I introduce him into my tank. I have also heard of people using pillow cases. Is this a safe method?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Your buying an 18” piraya? Or is this supposed to be preemptive?

You can get large nets with metal extending handles from the dollar store for $5. You won’t want expensive nets because when it chews through the net you can just replace it. You should get some decent use out of it before it gets too thrashed. I have a friend who uses these on his large rays.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada

You can get large nets with metal extending handles from the dollar store for $5. You won’t want expensive nets because when it chews through the net you can just replace it. You should get some decent use out of it before it gets too thrashed. I have a friend who uses these on his large rays.
I am buying an 18" Piraya. And would something from the dollarstore be safe?

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Get a rubber fishing net from a sporting goods store. The rubber doesn't get caught up in the fishes fins or spines. They aren't cheap but will last a long time and don't harm the fish.

Reactions: islandguy11

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Cool make sure you post pics once you get it.

Why would it not be safe? As long as it doesn’t have any mold inhibitors it should be fine. If you don’t trust dollar store you can go to a fishing store and get the same net for 20-30$ more. But you will get the same result of a net full of holes. Lol

When you net piranhas they snap their jaws and usually cut circles or ovals out of your net. If an 18” p snaps it’s way through your net and is flopping around on the floor you need to keep in mind that it’s teeth are razor sharp and interlocking. That is it’s most dangerous state. Make sure you don’t keep it in the net too long or else have an extra one or two on hand. That is more of a concern than a dollar store net imo.

This would be a rarity for it to bite through the net. But it is possible. I have never kept piraya personally but have had numerous RB and a few rhombs. Who knows maybe it won’t do anything when you net it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

+1

Reactions: Dloks and Matteus

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Safety first also keep hands off the Piranha when you net it. You will hear it's teeth while its in the net. If it is thrashing and a finger is in the way it will bite it off. Not trying to scare you just stay focused.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
You will never forget your first piranha bite.

I was retreving a half body of a feeder from floating in the back of the tank and I heard a snap. Didn’t even see or feel anything. Just saw my thumb bleeding. Luckily it just nicked me, but I had a very healthy respect from that day forward.

Like Thomas mentioned this is not to scare you. They are really neat fish, just don’t take for granted that they have serious artillery. Most piranha keepers will never be bitten.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store