NEVER feed your cichlids LFS feeder fish

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
A single, small, monthly dose, of metronidazole, is worse than doing nothing at all. And that is also exactly how super bugs are created.
My thoughts, exactly. In fact, that and similiar practices are creating greater problems than the average and unsuspecting hobbyist realizes. See link below:

Ornamental fish industry faces increasing problems with antibiotic resistance
We don't think individuals should ever use antibiotics in a random, preventive or prophylactic method/QUOTE]

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
A single, small, monthly dose, of metronidazole, is worse than doing nothing at all. And that is also exactly how super bugs are created.
To clarify I followed the instructions for treating with metronidazole as provided by the manufacturer. Being that there is food with metronidazole included as an ingredient I don't see much risk in a few additional small doses after a full treatment.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
I should add as well that I certainly wouldn't go routinely treating a healthy fish with any form of anti-biotics. I wouldn't take them in the fashon myself either. My fish was sick and the idea of adding a few additional doses after the full range of treatment seems safe to me but I could certainly be wrong.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
I should add as well that I certainly wouldn't go routinely treating a healthy fish with any form of anti-biotics. I wouldn't take them in the fashon myself either. My fish was sick and the idea of adding a few additional doses after the full range of treatment seems safe to me but I could certainly be wrong.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
As an alternative safer manner in which to treat fish in a prophylactic way when internal parasites are suspected, see the link that neutrino previously posted on treating with epsom salt infused food. It won't kill all internal pathogens, but it has been proven to be effective against one of the most common, Spironucleus vortens. That method has been used successfully by many members here, including myself.

Almost all fish medications have the potential to be dangerous and/or toxic at high enough dosage rates, or if used excessively. It's been stated by at least one researcher that excessive use of metronidazole can cause organ damage in fish.

In fish, an excessive use of metronidazole can damage kidneys and other internal organs.(Bassleer, 1983)

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Didn't mean to sound like personal criticisms in my case, but I've seen so many people practice and recommend routine de-worming, routine medication as maintenance, or 'just in case', and similar theories, often thinking it's a superior way to care for their fish, without understanding it can be counter-productive for some of the reasons .

Better-- in my opinion-- is to practice reasonable bio-security ( a term I borrowed from professional aquaculture literature), meaning things like being careful with, sparing of (or, in commercial aquaculture, often eliminating) live foods, quaranteening if practical or when there's a reason to, etc. and keeping and feeding fish in ways conducive to healthy fish and their immune systems. Don't mean to preach, and nothing 100% guarantees you'll never get a sick fish-- sometimes, just when I start bragging that I haven't had a sick fish in x number of years, I get a sick fish-- but for me, part of the learning curve included being more judicious with meds... I mean I was the guy when I started out years ago that would add Aquarisol once a week to 'prevent' ich and at any sign of trouble I'd nuke the tank with Clout. :eek:

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store