NEVER release an aquarium fish into the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Sanchez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
ewurm said:
For most of us it is. But that doesn't explain the goldfish population in the Mississippi river, or the snakehead populations in varying bodies of water. :swear:

As well as the caiman population, flocks of parrots, and peacock bass and tilapia in Florida. The bullfrog's decimating Arizona, cane toads infesting Australia, sika deer in England, the decimation of birds in Guam at from brown tree snakes. The 80's problem of Mediterranian fruit flies in California, African killer bees in South America, goats on Hawaiin hillsides, anglo europeans in north america, etc. etc. etc.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Filthy Sanchez said:
As well as the caiman population, flocks of parrots, and peacock bass and tilapia in Florida. The bullfrog's decimating Arizona, cane toads infesting Australia, sika deer in England, the decimation of birds in Guam at from brown tree snakes. The 80's problem of Mediterranian fruit flies in California, African killer bees in South America, goats on Hawaiin hillsides, anglo europeans in north america, etc. etc. etc.
Yep the Anglo population has decimated the native american population. We are like carp.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
One more time, releasing a fish from an aquarium into the wild is never to be done, even if it is native to the area, and especially if it isn't. Snakeheads are now banned from possession throughout the country because a few idiots transplanted them into places where they shouldn't be. I can't buy a chaNnel cat in MN because the DNR feels they will be introduced into bodies of water where they are not native, even though they inhabit certain areas in MN. DON'T EVER RELEASE YOUR FISH. GIVE THEM AWAY, SELL THEM, OR KILL THEM AND BURY THEM. THOSE ARE THE ONLY RESPONSIBLE OPTIONS. DO YOU WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR FAVORITE FISH TO BE BANNED?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Also saw a thread with someone releasing snapping turtles...I don't know about turtles but this sounds like a bad idea as well.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Also not good to release your bait when fishing, unless you got it from the lake you are fishing on, and you haven't had it for too long.

puffer_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
United States
Lived in Florida for quite awhile and I recently posted a pic that my dad took of tilapia that someone let loose in a pond down there. Also, someone mentioned the flocks of parrots down there and I have seen them myself...... Very disturbing when you think about the long term impact that this will have...... Very disturbing......

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
It's not just the individuals causing the problems...Parrots in Florida came from area attractions and they never tried to recapture them, had a large macaw land on our tv antenna in '65 and bent the heck out of it... and the noise !!! and green budgies that are 10in tall are everywhere (they nest in palm trees).
These same attractions had ponds of tropical fish that the preditor birds would catch and dropped them in other ponds while cleaning them... or during heavy rains the ponds would flood and out go the fish...same thing at the tropical fish farms.
Oh yea, don't forget the government and all their wisdom (read: game & fish commission).
Used to have an old lfs here for about 40 yrs with a drainage canal beside it that had a variety of tropicals in it and they always remained close to the store ( no one ever fest up to that ) still see a few there 5 yrs and ten large storms later.
Somewhere around here I've got a 3.5ft lizard hiding (not mine).
and the D@MN chickens ( foreigners think they have to have them for luck or their religon, then they move and leave them)
Geeeese, now that I reread this I think I see the benifit of living up north, everything dies off with the cold!
Mother nature tries, but we can screw things up faster than she can fix them. :shakehead

Now if I were made supreme leader of this planet..hhmmm

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Thanks a lot Dixon, I think that is a great move!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store