never seen one of these befour

Yabbadoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
The Dark Side
Had a few of these before....for about a week.....then they all Karked it!!! http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192965&highlight=black+crayfish

Water got to hot I think....must be kept cool. They look totally wicked with the orange antennas.

Also that website is full of sh*t.....
Has wrong information about these crays!!!

The "Blue Knight' lobster is Cherax cainii not C.sp.......and is VERY, VERY Aggressive!!!

The "Black Scorpion" is either Cherax Preissii or Cherax Glabber, not Cherax.Sp (A very smart person on another forum says C.Glabber)
It gets nowhere near 1ft long!!!

Both are difficult to keep & raise. Both are originally from the cooler Southern regions of Western Australia only.
Be aware that they have misleading information.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
looking good, if the info is wrong why not let us know what the correct specs are?

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Yabbadoo;3008956; said:
If this is the species that is for sale at liveaquaria
liveaquaria doesn't know what they're selling, I've asked them before when I found that one about a year ago (when I was looking for C. preissii). The return information changes constantly with each email. They're also very adamant about their species naming and information (even thought the white P. alleni they sell isn't a Cherax species and won't reach 1' in length haha).

But they have great stock. I've gotten fish and feeders from them before, some of the best quality stuff I've gotten online. If I had the money, I'd buy some of their questionable cray species just to have them properly IDed over at bluecrayfish.com or crayfishmates.com and go from there. Alas, I am the definition of "starving artist" lol

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
Oh hey, Yabba... do you know how many "black cray" species are there? Morphs excluded since I can find black morphs of my natives here lol. But actually species that are black or deep/dark blue?

Yabbadoo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
The Dark Side
black_sun;3009851; said:
liveaquaria doesn't know what they're selling, I've asked them before when I found that one about a year ago (when I was looking for C. preissii). The return information changes constantly with each email. They're also very adamant about their species naming and information (even thought the white P. alleni they sell isn't a Cherax species and won't reach 1' in length haha).

But they have great stock. I've gotten fish and feeders from them before, some of the best quality stuff I've gotten online. If I had the money, I'd buy some of their questionable cray species just to have them properly IDed over at bluecrayfish.com or crayfishmates.com and go from there. Alas, I am the definition of "starving artist" lol
Go for it.....I would.....lol
Kind of a lucky dip as to what you will receive......:nilly:

black_sun;3009855; said:
Oh hey, Yabba... do you know how many "black cray" species are there? Morphs excluded since I can find black morphs of my natives here lol. But actually species that are black or deep/dark blue?
Most crays will have colour variants of one colour or another due to Environment/Water Conditions, Feed & that '1 in a Billion' genetic mutation so I doubt if there is a cray that only comes in black??? Got ya Blue Marron & Black Marron etc.....

Even for C.glaber, It has a jet black version & a half brown/black speckled version etc...see Cherax pic # 12 in the website provided.

BTW ~ C.preissii pic # 16 is clearly different from C.glaber

One that's pretty freaky looking (Long Claws) & looks blackish is The Myall Swamp Yabby. Gramastacus pic # 2......

The Australian Crayfish Project is still being completed but already has some great pics & info........can't wait for them to have it all done!

Check it out ~ http://www.aabio.com.au/lists.html

ps.....Crusty was helping Rob do some of the QLD species. Cool hey..lol :popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store