New 125

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Always wanted a 6 foot tank . Would have gone larger but a 125 is as big as I dare go in a rental. The price was right and I just had to take it. But I just don’t know what to do with it... so many options.

I currently have a 90 gallon which homes a 12+ inch Oscar and a 75 with a gold barred Midas at 6-7 inches. The Oscar is my wet pet... the Midas is awesome but not yet attached but getting there.... he recently hit that sexual maturity mark and now tries to kill me through the glass as a full time pass time

The 125 came with a beautiful 3d background. I am torn about keeping it as an Oscar, Midas or other large predator will need the depth of the tank. Depends on the route I decide to go.

Options:
1. Another large predator or predator pair; thinking: trimac, hoga, black nasty, red terror....
2. Oscar in 125, divide tank and try to find mine a compatible Oscar friend... use spare 4 foot tank to raise a small group of clown loaches to eventually go in with the oscars.
3. Oscar in 125, another 1-3 medium Cichlids that won’t kick my o’s butt all over the tank. Severum Maybe.. not sure what else could work other than JD/GT/Con .. same plan with the loaches.
4. Midas in 125, try to pair.... anything else possible to house with this psychopath in a 125? I’m sure he’d kill my oscar within 5 minutes... the teeth are nuts. I don’t want to give him the 125 to himself...
5. A semi-aggressive South American Cichlid community. Goes, sevs, other species I haven’t kept. I could keep the background and it would look awesome.... but I do love my big predators. Would love to see,so,e,nice,pics,of,s9meth8ng similar.
6. If I had a tank 2 to 3 times this,size I would want to do the multiple predator tank... spread out the aggression with a few individuals... but no way to do anything with a 125 right? I know the answer... not new to this. I just want that big predator community so bad. Any examples of something that could work would be very interesting to hear.

Been at this hobby for 15 years. Keep dual Eheim 2217 under each tank and AC110’s for good measure. Weekly water changes greater than 50%. Whatever I am doing it results in big healthy fish.... just saying I basically know what’s involved with keeping big messy fish healthy.

So I am looking for suggestions... I don’t want to have regrets... and won’t be able to keep this thing empty long before I find myself ordering something from tangled...

It’s funny, I have had regrets after getting my barred Midas... should have gotten a trimac or a Midas with color... then he matured and his personality is totally winning me over... he’s a good looking fish but <— this is what causes multiple tank syndrome.

Anywho I would love to hear some suggestions.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Like you said there is only so much you can do with a 125. The filtration is there but a predator central American tank would most likely not work in a 125. If you want you could do try a South American community. If I were you I would get a Central American pair.

Kvandy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Roseville, MI
If it was me I would do a firemouth community or a single Jaguar, buy a group of 6 and keep the best one. If you have never kept jags before they kind of suck untill they hit the 5 inch mark than they will become your favorite fish.

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards geos, severum, clown loaches... maybe throw my oscar in there once veryone is big enough if I think the tank can handle her. She’s big....

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
I like the sound of the community type set up. Will give you some variety from your big aggressive wet pets. Just a thought, go with your gut!

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
right now, your oscar is only 12". He will grow much larger and will out grow the 90 gal. you can keep him in there long term, but you're gonna be at a high risk of diseases and shortened life span, even if you have a great filtration system. Your water changes will have to be very frequent also. personally, i would move the oscar into the 125 with a few tankmates. If you're gonna have divider, only use it to have the new fish and oscar get used to each other. dont have the tank divided permanetely. The oscar will need the full 125. the oscar move is a must, but he doesnt have to be alone.

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Oscars don’t grow much bigger than 12”. I submit to you that a 90 can be used for life. Regardless I think she’d be happier in the 125 so that’s what i’m doing.

BUT: I find hat people keep telling newcomers (not one of them) they need more and more space for single specimens... I agree it’s a good idea but it seems like a hobby of sheat8ng on people’s newfound excitement in getting in the hobby. They want an Oscar or red Devil, they do their research, most tell them a 55 and they make a better decision and go for a 75 then a bunch of long time hobbiest tell them it’s some k8nd of crime to house their new friend in less than a 180.

It’s nice to see people get into the hobby and fall in love with it. I’m jus tired of seeing people taking this tank size thing too far. I’m sitting next to my oscar now. She’s my buddy and doing great with 10

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Battery failed.

10 ppm and my Oscar is the picture of health.

Just curious just how much bigger do you think an Oscar will get?. I envision another inch maybe two and some more girth but mines a giant compared to others I’ve seen in person and most on YouTube.

Not meaning to jump down your throat or offend... I’ve just gotten so much enjoyment out of my overfiltered 90 gal homing my Oscar over the years (first picture). It’s a repeat tank of my first tank over 15 years ago and the reason I fell in love with the hobby. I feel like we shouldn’t take the extreme end of the spectrum of opinions for min tank size and tell people their fish are dying a slow death if they can’t provide it. Making the hobby seem inaccessible. Now if it was a 40 or even 55 then yes i’d be with you... a 90 is generally considerd more than adequate to keep an Oscar healthy.

That said I’m looking forward to seeing her stretch her fins in her new tank (second pic). :)

E85343A6-6F43-46D2-BFA5-6ABB5E535C63.jpeg

19C3052C-F833-4FA7-932B-440DD6D3E745.jpeg

Reactions: HybridFinatic

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Battery failed.

10 ppm and my Oscar is the picture of health.

Just curious just how much bigger do you think an Oscar will get?. I envision another inch maybe two and some more girth but mines a giant compared to others I’ve seen in person and most on YouTube.

Not meaning to jump down your throat or offend... I’ve just gotten so much enjoyment out of my overfiltered 90 gal homing my Oscar over the years (first picture). It’s a repeat tank of my first tank over 15 years ago and the reason I fell in love with the hobby. I feel like we shouldn’t take the extreme end of the spectrum of opinions for min tank size and tell people their fish are dying a slow death if they can’t provide it. Making the hobby seem inaccessible. Now if it was a 40 or even 55 then yes i’d be with you... a 90 is generally considerd more than adequate to keep an Oscar healthy.

That said I’m looking forward to seeing her stretch her fins in her new tank (second pic). :)

View attachment 1363701

View attachment 1363702
Don’t worry man you sound like your taking great care of your fish.

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Thanks.

Eheim 2262 comes in tomorrow. Got media from a 2217’s to get it going on the 125 along with the cycled 2217 on it now. Leaves me with three 2217’s on my 90 and two 2217’s on my 75 which also has a Ac110.

I’m a pretty religious water changer, have been since I upgraded my ten gallon to a 90 fifteen years ago.

Only problem with the plan for the 125 is I can kiss any aqua scraping goodbye. She once stopped eating for a couple weeks... couldn’t figure out what it was... Turns out I had buried her bubble wall in a way she couldn’t get at at and she likes it completely exposed In the front of the tank as you can 1363858see in the picture. I Unburied them and she came back from the dead. I have no idea what purpose this kind of drama could serve in the wild.... you?:) the 125 will just be a big playground of Oscar nonsense now. Worth it.

6765A8CC-3B8F-4C86-A930-7E8A9BD7FD53.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store