New 125g setup sa cichlids

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico
Hello I just bought a new 128g tank and want some colourful cichlids I was wondering a pair of each:

- 2 green terrors
- 2 Severum red shoulder
- 1 flowerhorn o what do you recommend me? Please it is a 6ft tank

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I think that lots of pairs of cichlids won’t work, a green terror pair may work with other fish but never kept them so have no experience, as far as a severum pair they would work with other fish but must need to be able to hold there own. A flowerhorn on the other hand will 99% not work and will be way to aggressive

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would ditch the flowerhorn idea, a male flowerhorn will want that whole tank to himself when full grown. I agree also about pairs, breeding pairs are more difficult to deal with, stake off quite a bit of territory and aggression goes through the roof.
I would do something more like:
1 green terror
1 red shoulder severum
5 guianacara gaeyi
20 Colombian tetras

Mistacooldude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
I wouldn’t do that. Just with my experience severum seem to get beat on easily, especially when they are smaller. I think the flowerhorn would be too aggressive for the severum. You could add Oscars if you want aggressive. Or blue Texas cichlids. I love the blue verity of Texas.
Hello I just bought a new 128g tank and want some colourful cichlids I was wondering a pair of each:

- 2 green terrors
- 2 Severum red shoulder

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico

- 2 green terrors
- 2 Severum red shoulder

Thanks guys if was thinking now about this ones:

- 1 green terror
- 1 red terror
- 1 heros sp. rotkeil red head severum
- 1 hoplarchus psittacus
- 5 geophagus red head tapajos
- 1 catfish or plecostomus

Do you think this combo might work or any changes?

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
That combo won't work either.

1. A Red Terror (festae) will murder everything else listed.
2. Green Terror's are too aggressive for Red Heads
3. Hoplarchus Psittacus get a bit too large IMO for a 125g

First figure out what you want from this tank because right now it's a mix between a peaceful SA community and a Semi-aggressive cichlid tank. Can have a nice tank with a group of red heads, a sev, some larger tetras and some catfish. Or can go the other route of GT, Sev and other larger SA/CA cichlids.

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico
That combo won't work either.

1. A Red Terror (festae) will murder everything else listed.
2. Green Terror's are too aggressive for Red Heads
3. Hoplarchus Psittacus get a bit too large IMO for a 125g

First figure out what you want from this tank because right now it's a mix between a peaceful SA community and a Semi-aggressive cichlid tank. Can have a nice tank with a group of red heads, a sev, some larger tetras and some catfish. Or can go the other route of GT, Sev and other larger SA/CA cichlids.

What about

5 geophagus red tapajos
2 severum res head
1 Green terror
1 hoplarchus psicatus Or green Texas
Catfish

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would take the hoplarchus/texas out and that would be good. The texas is central American, prefers hard water and high pH, wheras the rest of the fish are south American and like softer water, lower pH. They are also much more aggressive than the rest of your fish.
The hoplarchus would be a good fit but they get huge, and the tank would be overstocked with all those cichlids, in my opinion.
5 Tapajos
2 severum
1GT
Catfish
Should be ok. Keep an eye on the GT because they are the most aggressive of the fish you listed.

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico
I would take the hoplarchus/texas out and that would be good. The texas is central American, prefers hard water and high pH, wheras the rest of the fish are south American and like softer water, lower pH. They are also much more aggressive than the rest of your fish.
The hoplarchus would be a good fit but they get huge, and the tank would be overstocked with all those cichlids, in my opinion.
5 Tapajos
2 severum
1GT
Catfish
Should be ok. Keep an eye on the GT because they are the most aggressive of the fish you listed.
But if I want the hoplarchus what fish will you remove to make it work with him?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would replace the green terror with the psittacus, maybe lose a severum as well, if the tank is stocked on the heavier side like this, realize when adults they will probably require pretty large water changes, 2 a week, to keep the water clean. These fish are prone to hlle/ hole in the head when kept in less than perfect water. I would also ask what your water hardness and pH are. These cichlids will do much better in softer, lower pH water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store