New 180 gallon tank

Ken Gallant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hi all. This is my first post. I have a new 180 with custom cabinet in my living room. It really is a show tank. I am struggling with what to keep in it. I am reluctant to put just one fish in. I really like the vieja species, and red devils. Eartheaters " my substrate is a mix of regular gravel and pea size">. At the moment I am thinking about a colony of T Bar cichlids with dither fish. The red atabo pike cichlids also look very nice, but they are over $150 each. I welcome any suggestions.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
A colony of Sajica (T-bar cichlids) would look awesome in that tank! 180 is a good size and you could do a community of larger cichlids, but it usually takes a good amount of tweaking to get the mix of species right. Doing a colony of one species of smaller fish like the Sajica will make it more beginner-friendly for sure. I would recommend around 15 sajica for that tank size. You could keep a large school of swordtails in there as well, that would keep the tank central-American themed and would provide a large supply of babies which will be eaten or could be periodically traded to a fish store for credit/food.
Atabapo pikes are awesome and you could do a small group of them in there. As you stated they are expensive however.
What is your tap water like? pH, hardness? That will make a difference, as it would be wise to pick fish that thrive in your water. Sajica and pikes like opposite ends of the pH and hardness scale (although most cichlids are adaptable anyway)

Reactions: Toiletcar

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Hi all. This is my first post. I have a new 180 with custom cabinet in my living room. It really is a show tank. I am struggling with what to keep in it. I am reluctant to put just one fish in. I really like the vieja species, and red devils. Eartheaters " my substrate is a mix of regular gravel and pea size">. At the moment I am thinking about a colony of T Bar cichlids with dither fish. The red atabo pike cichlids also look very nice, but they are over $150 each. I welcome any suggestions.
You could try a small to medium sized cichlid community with things like
Firemouth cichlids
Ellioti cichlids
Salvini cichlids (quite aggressive but very colourful)
Panamensis cichlids
Sajica cichlids
Cutteri cichlids
Nicarguensis cichlids (very very colourful)
Convict cichlids
And livebearers as dither fish such as
Butterfly goodeids (worth breeding aswell)
Large wild mollies (get big)
Swordtails
Etc.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Ken Gallant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2017
You could try a small to medium sized cichlid community with things like
Firemouth cichlids
Ellioti cichlids
Salvini cichlids (quite aggressive but very colourful)
Panamensis cichlids
Sajica cichlids
Cutteri cichlids
Nicarguensis cichlids (very very colourful)
Convict cichlids
And livebearers as dither fish such as
Butterfly goodeids (worth breeding aswell)
Large wild mollies (get big)
Swordtails
Etc.
A colony of Sajica (T-bar cichlids) would look awesome in that tank! 180 is a good size and you could do a community of larger cichlids, but it usually takes a good amount of tweaking to get the mix of species right. Doing a colony of one species of smaller fish like the Sajica will make it more beginner-friendly for sure. I would recommend around 15 sajica for that tank size. You could keep a large school of swordtails in there as well, that would keep the tank central-American themed and would provide a large supply of babies which will be eaten or could be periodically traded to a fish store for credit/food.
Atabapo pikes are awesome and you could do a small group of them in there. As you stated they are expensive however.
What is your tap water like? pH, hardness? That will make a difference, as it would be wise to pick fish that thrive in your water. Sajica and pikes like opposite ends of the pH and hardness scale (although most cichlids are adaptable anyway)[/QUO

I'm in a new apartment and haven't checked the water yet. 15 sajicas sounds like alot, no ? I was thinking 7 or 9. I love the idea of swordtails. How many for a school do you suggest ? I'm thinking 20, no ?

Ken Gallant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2017
I was thinking around 7 or 9 sajicas for a colony, no ? 15 sounds like alot. I love the idea of a school of swordtails. How many do you think for a large school ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store