New 180!

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
Picking up my gently used 180 with stand and hood. Cheap cheap!
Anyways, my reason for posting.
Standard footprint 180, acrylic. Drilled on the bottom capped currently. Thinking of drilling the back and going with a slim 2 piece overflow. Looking for advice as it'll be my first sump set up from scratch. Want tips and tricks and to hear what everyone may have done differently. Really wanna streamline and maximize efficiency. Also curious about sump size and set up advice. Stock will be 1 male jag, currently 7". (This is his birthday present. He will be a year on 3/13 and has outgrown his 40b obviously) also one synodontis angellicus, 6". Potentially also my 6" saxatillis pike.

IMG_20170214_162826.jpg

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Picking up my gently used 180 with stand and hood. Cheap cheap!
Anyways, my reason for posting.
Standard footprint 180, acrylic. Drilled on the bottom capped currently. Thinking of drilling the back and going with a slim 2 piece overflow. Looking for advice as it'll be my first sump set up from scratch. Want tips and tricks and to hear what everyone may have done differently. Really wanna streamline and maximize efficiency. Also curious about sump size and set up advice. Stock will be 1 male jag, currently 7". (This is his birthday present. He will be a year on 3/13 and has outgrown his 40b obviously) also one synodontis angellicus, 6". Potentially also my 6" saxatillis pike.
Congrats on the new tank!

Reactions: Tyler_Wentworth_150

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
Congrats on the new tank!
Thank you! Super steal, front panel needs buffed, but nothing that won't disappear. Stand and hood are super solid. And I just picked up a beam works 72" led for $99 shipped. Total investment so far.. 600. For my area being 260 miles from San Fran it's a mint deal. I don't even have to leave town either!

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
Sump size suggestions! I'd love to keep a hospital tank underneath as well. I'm getting rid of all my other tanks as a condition of this upgrade haha. It should be noted I want this as close to silent as possible. Does this rule out a fluidized k1 set up?

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
3-4 foot sump should be fine, obviously bigger is better. I've never used k1 but I have heard it's noisy. Nice tank, good luck!
Like a 55 from the dollar a gallon? Trying to factor in a semi reasonable hospital tank for a potentially monster fish. I don't know if I really need it as it's controlled stock. I bred the jag myself and have had both others since they were micro. Realistically, with a UV and pristine water nothing should come up?! Am I crazy?

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I have a 20" syngergy reef overflow sitting in my garage just waiting for my big tank upgrade - sounds like you have something like that in mind?

You can plumb this one in a couple different ways. I plan to use a bean animal set-up on mine.

Your 40 breeder would make an okay dump, but bigger is better.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Like a 55 from the dollar a gallon? Trying to factor in a semi reasonable hospital tank for a potentially monster fish. I don't know if I really need it as it's controlled stock. I bred the jag myself and have had both others since they were micro. Realistically, with a UV and pristine water nothing should come up?! Am I crazy?
55 gallon sump..trickle tower, submerged media part or could also have k1 media chamber, then your heaters and pumps. Idk if it's possibly bit if you're going for heavy bio load, set up a drip system :)

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
55 gallon sump..trickle tower, submerged media part or could also have k1 media chamber, then your heaters and pumps. Idk if it's possibly bit if you're going for heavy bio load, set up a drip system :)
Stock won't change from the 2 possibly 3 fish listed above. I figure an adult male jag, with a possible 9-10" cat and a potentially 12-14" pike is a very manageable bioload with a sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store