New/1st Flowerhorn

Bigg081

Fish Wrangler
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I have had this little guy for almost two weeks. He has just recently started to come out when I am near the tank. He knows I am the hand that feeds him so he is getting better everyday. I bought him at one of the better LFS around and they said he is a Cherry Hump Head. I haven't had much luck finding info about that particular type/strand. Curious if anyone has any idea what he may be.
Regardless, I think he is really good looking and will turn into a stud. Here are a few pics, sorry they aren't great. (Yes there are small snail in the tank....love some help with those too!!)
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Reactions: adnan and THeckman

Bigg081

Fish Wrangler
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Shortbody. Not sure if its an srd or kamalau cuz his colors are still dark.
Never thought he looked like a short body. Maybe the pics do though. They are all neat to me.
I do have a black background with some darkish rocks. Sand is light colored. I know that can affect them. It ain’t changing though.
Thanks for the comment.

Bigg081

Fish Wrangler
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Short body red dragon. Very nice! Warm water will color him up. Try 86 f
I was slowly moving the tank temp up. I was at 80 when I introduced him. Now at 82-83. Have been told that 84 is tops. There are so many different opinions though. Of course I don’t know enough to decide what is what. Definitely not saying your wrong though. Is there a temp that is too high?

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
Never thought he looked like a short body. Maybe the pics do though. They are all neat to me.
I do have a black background with some darkish rocks. Sand is light colored. I know that can affect them. It ain’t changing though.
Thanks for the comment.
Looks like it from the pic. Yea black surroundings do darken their colours. I had mine in a tank with black diy dividers. Their colours got dark. Moved them into a well lighted tank with no background stickers on and light coloured dividers. Managed to get their colours back. And yea i usually put on a temp around 84-86 and they got really active. They like it with warmer waters.

Reactions: Bigg081

Bigg081

Fish Wrangler
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Short body red dragon. Very nice! Warm water will color him up. Try 86 f
Looks like it from the pic. Yea black surroundings do darken their colours. I had mine in a tank with black diy dividers. Their colours got dark. Moved them into a well lighted tank with no background stickers on and light coloured dividers. Managed to get their colours back. And yea i usually put on a temp around 84-86 and they got really active. They like it with warmer waters.
I moved the temp up to 84 this morning. He has been more active and even colored up a bit.
I think that is in part to him get used to me more and more. He is starting to do the FH barrel rolls and flips.
Here’s pics of the increased coloring. The last pic is darker, I think he got tired of me chasing him around with the phone to get a pic.
01654629-A19C-49FA-B626-96C8160AE72F.jpeg D5F57435-D64C-4B02-8D8E-FA8DC2910496.jpeg 403AECFB-CFCB-4042-B97A-6C3DEFAFD3BD.jpeg

Bigg081

Fish Wrangler
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
40BF9C46-12CF-43BB-984A-57BD3D45BA30.jpeg This little guy is loving the warmer water. Maybe I am just over excited but his color is even better! D Dainbramage flowerhornfishman flowerhornfishman

Reactions: flowerhornfishman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store