New 240g stocking geophagus red head center piece

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you check the drab, washed out coloration of the JD in the link below, you will notice that many cichlids tend to wash out their colors when substrate is white, reflective or un-natural. Those un-natural substrates also seem to make waste sitting on the bottom more obvious.
Geophagus natural habitat is natural color sand, so will appear best with that color.
If a natural display isn't your thing, of course, then disregard,
Male or female Jack Dempsey

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
BTW Rainbow cichlids will treat any live plant like a salad bar. I heard Severums are hard on plants as well but don't have first hand experience with them.

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
If you check the drab, washed out coloration of the JD in the link below, you will notice that many cichlids tend to wash out their colors when substrate is white, reflective or un-natural. Those un-natural substrates also seem to make waste sitting on the bottom more obvious.
Geophagus natural habitat is natural color sand, so will appear best with that color.
If a natural display isn't your thing, of course, then disregard,
Male or female Jack Dempsey
This is why I was planning to mix sands do you think a 2:1 one beige/black mix would work well. I was planning on buying the Carib sea supernatural sand. It is a very high quality neutral sand I like the size for Geo’s as well. Trying to add a little depth to the substrate and pick up some of the black background.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The black background, with your overhead lights pulled to the front of the tank, will add depth. Adding black/dark substrate will make your fish look like crap, as will white. Your call.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I was planning on buying the Carib sea supernatural sand
Check around locally for a decent grain size of natural colored play sand, or pool filter sand. Your fish colors will pop, and you will save a bundle of money compared to CaribSea products. I used Target play sand in the past, from Home Depot, along with PFS in some tanks, but I live in NW Canada and these products can vary greatly from one vendor to another, so impossible to say what is available to you. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store