New 265 Incoming!! Overflow, Sump, Equip Expertise requested

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The amount of PVC you will need, depends on where you situate the sump.
The idea that a sump needs to be directly below the tank is not always right.
If you have family member sensitive to the humming, or vibration sound of a pump, you may want it elsewhere, behind wall, in a utility room, even on a lower floor, possibilities are endless.
I have friends whose house gets hot in the summer, and to help maintain cooler water temps, place the sumps in a cool basement.
I also don't like sumps directly underneath tanks, because for me, the lack of arm movement space, makes maintenance restrictive.
I also believe the different types of bio-media are in the end, meaningless, whether its lava rock, bio balls or old tooth brushes. To me they are just a surface for beneficial bacteria to grow on, and the claims that one is better than the other, just hyperbole.
The only way to know would be to count the robust individual bacteria, to see if one collects more than the other, an impossible task.

Reactions: gatormfk

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
The amount of PVC you will need, depends on where you situate the sump.
The idea that a sump needs to be directly below the tank is not always right.
If you have family member sensitive to the humming, or vibration sound of a pump, you may want it elsewhere, behind wall, in a utility room, even on a lower floor, possibilities are endless.
I have friends whose house gets hot in the summer, and to help maintain cooler water temps, place the sumps in a cool basement.
I also don't like sumps directly underneath tanks, because for me, the lack of arm movement space, makes maintenance restrictive.
I also believe the different types of bio-media are in the end, meaningless, whether its lava rock, bio balls or old tooth brushes. To me they are just a surface for beneficial bacteria to grow on, and the claims that one is better than the other, just hyperbole.
The only way to know would be to count the robust individual bacteria, to see if one collects more than the other, an impossible task.
Thoughts on PVC vs Flexible Hosing for the plumbing? I’ve seen both

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Some good advise so far, I did the sock thing and hated it. They work great don’t get me wrong butI would just throw some floss on top of the egg crate and all it a day. I would take DN328 DN328 advise on the drains. Plump the returns over the top of the tank and then you can drill a small hole in the return so you don’t have a syphon on power failure.

Reactions: DN328

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
I’ve decided to go ahead and plumb herbie style on both overflows and run the return over the top. Also decided to go ahead and hard plumb with pvc. Have a super remedial question...

I’ve I’m running 1” drain and 3/4” returns, what size should my fittings/elbows/etc be? I know the pipe is the internal measurement and the outside is bigger, but to the fittings take that into consideration already and I would need matching size connections or will I need larger fittings for the outside pipe diameter?

sorry for the remedial question

Reactions: DN328

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I’ve decided to go ahead and plumb herbie style on both overflows and run the return over the top. Also decided to go ahead and hard plumb with pvc. Have a super remedial question...

I’ve I’m running 1” drain and 3/4” returns, what size should my fittings/elbows/etc be? I know the pipe is the internal measurement and the outside is bigger, but to the fittings take that into consideration already and I would need matching size connections or will I need larger fittings for the outside pipe diameter?

sorry for the remedial question
The connections account for the sizes in most cases. If you have 1" pvc pipe, the connectors and elbows you'll use will be the same and labeled as such. For example, 1" slip 90* elbow will fit you 1" PVC pipe. There are also reducers if you need to reduce on one end too.

Reactions: gatormfk and deeda

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
The connections account for the sizes in most cases. If you have 1" pvc pipe, the connectors and elbows you'll use will be the same and labeled as such. For example, 1" slip 90* elbow will fit you 1" PVC pipe. There are also reducers if you need to reduce on one end too.
Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store