New 4 inch Cichla kelberi

Monsterkeeper0223

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2020
I have 3 new cichla kelberi and they are very aggressive with eachother or at least one of the most truly aggresive cichlids I’ve ever kept and one of them is extra extra aggressive and so I put 2 Oscars and catfish in to calm the aggression and it’s worked slightly and gotten better but still very aggresive any idea how to help? The tank is 90 gallons with an fx6 usually at 82 degress just because they are new to the tank.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Believe most of the pbass keepers would suggest adding more pbass to help offset the aggression. This would also require larger tank space etc. See what the other members would suggest as well.

Reactions: tcav88

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
I have 3 new cichla kelberi and they are very aggressive with eachother or at least one of the most truly aggresive cichlids I’ve ever kept and one of them is extra extra aggressive and so I put 2 Oscars and catfish in to calm the aggression and it’s worked slightly and gotten better but still very aggresive any idea how to help? The tank is 90 gallons with an fx6 usually at 82 degress just because they are new to the tank.
Line of sight breaks, bigger tank, add some characins such as silver dollars as dithers, add more bass to diffuse the aggression... all of these things will help diffuse it. They all bicker as do almost every South American cichlid I’ve kept, just make sure it’s not constant where they don’t give each other breaks.

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California

How big are your kelberi?

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
When my kells were small that all they did. Pack of 5 silver dollers would really help. Small ones that don't get too big. And add 2 more kells . #5 and 7 are the magic #s with P. Bass?

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Then get a bigger tank when they start to grow .adding Oscars with bass is verry good IMO.

Artisto69

Gambusia
Feb 23, 2012
Brisbane,Ausralia
What size Are they mate??. If they are Still Small..., [I know that this Method is Downright UGLY] , but, Personally, On Many Occasions...,{After I have Spawned MANY Cichla variants}, and The Act of Cannibalism by the many, many Hundreds of Peacock Bass Fry (Especially at The Fingerling Stage) begins Very Quickly too kill each other very Rapidly.
So..., I have found Myself Continuously Using or Packing My Grow Out tanks [Just for a relatively Short Time of their Grow Out and hormones Spurt!!!], with Many, Many brown Onion Bags!!!.
Reduces the overall territory size of Individuals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store