New 7 inch puffer sitting in the corner

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Dude its been a little over a week and you have no idea about your water parameters. Give it time and you probably need to treat for internal parasites

Morticia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2016
Also putting other fish with him is a risk at best. Not only because they are more susceptible to disease due to them having no scales, but also because they are aggressive. He needs time to bounce back from shipping and all that too. I hope you remove the other fish. Especially the shrimp since shrimp are a big part of their diets. Treat him for parasites too as someone else said on here.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
The other fish are inexpensive, cost me about 7 USD, The shrimps are feeder shrimps :) he ate one already. I removed the tiger barbs as these were nipping the puffer fish. The black tetras are excellent, very docile and a bit active.

Morticia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2016
That's great, but again that doesn't fix the issue of making the puffer sick and it is only a matter of time before he eats the tetras too. There are tons of feeds on here of people trying the same thing, but within a month the Puffers instincts kick in and boom dead fish. Plus fish store fish generally carry things like ick or some kind of gill issue and need to be quarantined. If they have any sickness it will hurt your puffer rapidly. Generally it's just not worth the risk.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Thanks for the advice, sadly I added the other fish as the puffer is not very active and its depressing to see a 100g tank with little or no movement. I am actually thinking of adding more dither fish in the next couple of weeks.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
There's not an easy button. Just hang in there keep your water quality prestine and feed a crutchy diet. It will come around. Look at all the fahaka threads. Are there any shy overrated threads? Usually the big fish take longer to settle in. Honestly I would give it 6 months to 1 yr to decide if it's not for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store