New 75 gallon freshwater tank progress, any tips?

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Hi everyone! So I have a few questions that Im still not quite sure about yet. I have taken a video of my tank and of all the areas I have questions for please watch and give any comments that relate to questions and/or anything that I may be missing and any other advice is appreciated!
So, main question is, in the algae there are different colors appearing just want to be sure these are all safe types of algae and is it ok for me to let it grow and grow or do I need to be maintaining it in some manner? There is also some stuff growing on my piece of spiderwood in the video you can see. (Is it safe?) I really dont mind letting it grow if this is safe algae
Next question is about plants, if you watch the video I tried to get close and good image of the plants so anyone who has advice on the specific condition these plants are in please share!
Ok finally any tips or 2¢ on my filter media set up? Please and thank you!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Got some brown algae and blue-green from what i can make out. It’s safe.

The fluff on the wood is fine. Will go away eventually.

Plants look bacopa. Not too high nerdy and can tolerate most setups. Atleast I remember.

Filtration looks fine.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Yeah I agree. Tank looks great. Main thing though, that little fella looks like he's loving it, and that's all that matters. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Finthusiast

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Awesome I appreciate you guys checking it out! Just being cautious as I am still somewhat of a newbie lol I mean I just don’t know what things are supposed to look like so having you guys check it out makes me feel way better! I still plan to add water sprite when the time is right, I want to be sure everything is running smooth as is before getting anything else. The sponge filter has algae growing on top this I imagine can become a problem? I have the thought of creating shade somehow over the sponge to keep this from continuing, water sprite may do just that. Any other suggestions on “lightweight” objects I can use to put above the sponge filter to give it some shade?

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Well I assume it could restrict flow? This is first experience using a sponge filter so maybe I am wrong to assume it will cause issues. So is that ok to let it grow on the sponge filter?

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Almost all of my sponges grow a wierd turf algae. The way I see it regarding algae is unless its blocking my view or smothering a plant I usually let it be and even encourage it

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Ok cool this is the kind of stuff I have been wondering about. I have been getting lots of great feedback from you guys and just want to be 100 loL. So how often do you recommend I clean my sponge filter? And how do you recommend going about cleaning it

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Weekly-ish, I use the tap (or hose in summer) and blast away until it runs clear occasionally giving it a good squueeze
My sponges are not for bio purposes so I'm not worried about killing off bb

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Ah ok thanks so much for the reply’s! I’ll be back with more updates in near future!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store